whats a good temp for a laptop CPU

Haku Mioje

Daemon Poster
ok im running speed fan on my laptop to read how hot my CPU is running because i believe it has been over heating... on average right now ive been reading between 135-160 F... is that too hot because i think it is... what is an average temp that it should stay at

It won't overheat unless you overclock it to .4 GHz more than the orig. clock and anyway, 200F is fine for a CPU for awhile. And speedfan does not actually work because it estimates the temperature of the CPU by the speed of the fan (speedfan)

Speed fan does work to some degree, but it does not estimate the temperature by the speed of the CPU fan. That would yield horrible results never mind be completely wrong if you switched to a fan with a higher RPM. All temperature monitoring programs use the CPU's internal diode for temperature reading.

Download Coretemp (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/) and check the temperatures. In Speed fan it is hard to find the actual CPU temperature. You think the CPU is one temp but you get a new program and find out its wrong.

And don't even think about overclocking on a laptop AT ALL. A 400Mhz increase is a LARGE increase for any CPU never mind a laptop. Also please state your temperature in Celsius as its more of the standard. 40C-55C is a good temperature for most CPU's.

ok speed fan was reading fairly right... if not completely the same...and im reading the temp at an average 58-65 C

My HP with a core 2 duo is running at about 50c right now. I'm not doing much on it though, just browsing CF here.

Boot in to the bios and get the correct temp readings from there. Or snarf a copy of Everest and check the temps using that.

You could just buy a laptop cooling station from newegg.com, for around $20-30.

Back
Top Bottom