Need help/confirmation of this build

ejl

Baseband Member
Planning on building a new computer soon so I thought i'd come here to get some opinions, suggestions and answers. My budget is currently around 800-875 USD and want to use this build for medium core gaming(w/ games such as CS, WCIII/DotA, and WAR) and also work.
I used The Colonel's post as a guideline and almost identically copied what he had given but with a few changes so here's the list.

CPU: Intel C2D E8400

Mobo: GigaByte P45-DS3L

Memory: OCZ Gold 4GB DDR2 800

Video Card: ATI HD4850 512MB

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 500GB

PSU: Corsair 520HX

CD/DVD Drive: Lite-On DVD Burner

Case: RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEB

Total: $791.54 (Including tax delivery charges, and mail-in rebate deductions)

So if you guys could confirm for me that this would be a good build and that it would all work together well and answer some questions, it would be much appreciated. Is this all I need to buy for the PC? Also, since the Processor comes with a heatsink do I not have to buy another one? Same with fans, since the case comes with 4 fans and I think the GFX comes with 1 also, so is there no need to buy another? Also, is there a big difference between using the listed PSU or getting a 600w? If you guys have any answers, suggestions, opinions, it would be much appreciated and helpful. Thank you.

That looks like a pretty solid build you got there. The PSU is fine as its VERY efficient. There's three 12Volt rails so you don't have to worry about power and its even SLI Certified. The last review on that site showed it was running a AMD FX-60 (VERY energy consuming), four hard drives, and a 8800GTS. So for your computer, I think its so fine with power you could laugh at it.

As for the CPU, yes it comes with a Heatsink and fan and thermal compound is aready pre-applied to the Heatsink, so no worries. Then again, if I where you I would get a aftermarket HSF and some Arctic Silver 5 and overclock that CPU. That CPU is know to overclock to 3.8Ghz and above!

Unless you want to overclock your fine and that will be a very solid build. ^_^

everything looks pretty sweet.
thats the case i want.
i would pay the extra $20 to get an Q6600 and OC it, but it seems like you dont really need it, but is more future proof and nice to have.

So there is nothing else that I need? Just buy all that then i'm set?

is this your first time building an LGA775 build?
Those push pins can get really annoying to install, unless you get lucky and installed in minutes.
I would choose to get an 3 heat pipes HSF, and a retention bracket for easy install, wont bend the board (if any), more secure, and it connects the HSF onto the CPU more (leaves less space)
other than that, everything seems okay, unless you might need some extra cables unless your motherboard box supplies all you need.

First time building a PC at all. Will i need to get a thermal compound? Or will it probably come with the cpu or not needed?

a HSF should come with the CPU if it is new and not OEM, and the thermal compound should be on the HSF.

oh okay thank you. Oh, also will I need to buy something to be able to connect to wireless networks?

If you aren't going to game online much I would get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166020

If you are going to game online and want fast internet and gaming I would spend the extra money and get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124069

Because this is a gaming computer I would rather have it hard wired with Ethernet to a Modem, Gateway, or Router. If you have to have it wireless and this is going to be your main computer I would go with the linksys.

if you are going to play games online, i wouldnt suggest it.
I lag when i play CoD4 online.

Back
Top Bottom