SSSLLLOOOWWW Computer....HELP!

religion2386

In Runtime
What could make a freshly formatted computer with XP Pro SP3 just run slow in general? I have a older XP Pavilion desktop with basically nothing on it. It seems the newer and more updates needed the slower the computer in general gets....? Just for example I click <Start> 2-3 secs later it pulls up. Click on <Programs> 3-4 secs later the Programs list pulls up. Basically apply that delay to everything I do or click on.

could possibly be your specs. check how much ram this pc has installed...and also check to make sure you have the latest video card drivers (if any at all). i know with some of the older pc's i've re-installed windows onto, if i didn't install the video card display drivers, then a lot of my windows, start menu, etc. would respond slow and open choppy.
i guess we'll just need to wait and see what it is you are running in that pc before we can really give you some solid advice or help :)

Have you tried a defrag? Also, here is a simple tweak you can do in the registry to speed up the start menus http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/596/xp_speed_up_the_start_menu/

thank you for that link. i just did it...and i could see abit of a boost in quickness!!! ty :)

could possibly be your specs. check how much ram this pc has installed...and also check to make sure you have the latest video card drivers (if any at all). i know with some of the older pc's i've re-installed windows onto, if i didn't install the video card display drivers, then a lot of my windows, start menu, etc. would respond slow and open choppy.
i guess we'll just need to wait and see what it is you are running in that pc before we can really give you some solid advice or help :)

thank you for that link. i just did it...and i could see abit of a boost in quickness!!! ty :)

Your welcome. :p

Well Im still not sure of the ram installed. The only thing I do know is I had to update the video drvier from HP.com....As far as I know they just had 1 and that updated was back in Sept. 05...I just had the original XP (no updates) that I had been installing on it, and it seemed to work fine with no delay really. The delay in the XP SP3 is really noticalbe and annoying. I will try that link and see if it speeds things up.

Back
Top Bottom