Need help finishing a build

I would be a complete newbie though so is there any good guides you guys know about (hopefully step-by-step).
It's pretty self explanatory once you have all the parts in front of you. The motherboard manual explains most of the basics and we can fill in the rest. Just ask about anything you're not sure about.
Also, any changes you would recommend?
Since you're thinking of overclocking, I'd suggest going with some 1066 RAM for some extra headroom.
1. How easy is it? Easy as building a new computer?
You need to know the basics, for example: CPU speed = FSB x multiplier etc, but after that it's just trial and error, and you have to fish around in your BIOS and see what does what. You don't have to mess with voltages (which is the only way you can damage anything) until you're ready. The ONLY way you can damage something is by doing something stupid such as increasing the CPU voltage to 2.0V from 1.2V, obviously, it's almost impossible to damage anything.
2. I've always had the impression that overclocking a computer leads to a shorter life span for its components. Is this true even if it is adequately cooled?
Processors last years and years and years, and overclocking hardly changes this. Your CPU will be obsolete long before it feels the effects of overclocking.
1. Would you recommend me going with Vista and would you recommend the 64 bit version?
Yes, I would definitely recommend Vista 64 bit. Memory management is better than XP, there is DX10 support and I just prefer it over other OS's. You'll have no driver problems and 99.9% of apps will work fine with 64 bit, even if they just run in 32 bit mode.
2. I believe the 64 bit version can lead to certain programs/hardware not being able to run any more. How can I find out if mine will run, especially the programs since I have some older games and I would assume my components should work since they're all pretty new?
Unless your hardware is extremely old, you'll have no problems. You might want to check that certain components such as printers, or wireless adaptors have drivers available for 64 bit though.
3. For the software I thought I read that 32 bit programs should work but 16 bit won't. Is that true and if so, how can I tell?
16 bit? 64 bit Vista has an x86 emulator so all 32 bit programs will work.
4. Also, I read somewhere that Vista 64 bit runs 32 bit programs slower than XP 32 but this was someone posting from a while ago. Is this true?
No.

Got it today and have two quick questions regarding install. For mounting the motherboard, do the washers go on the top of the motherboard or between the motherboard and the spacers?

Also, given that this case has two front fans, a side fan, and a back fan that all blow in (not 100% sure on that) and has two top fans that blow out, which way would you orient the cpu fan for optimum airflow (click here for case)? The motherboard is oriented such that the cpu is right below the 2 top exhaust fans but pretty much right in fron of the back fan.

These are probably newb questions but I appreciate the help.

Got it today and have two quick questions regarding install. For mounting the motherboard, do the washers go on the top of the motherboard or between the motherboard and the spacers?
Washers? You shouldn't need any washers. Just screw the standoffs into the tray, line up the board over the holes, then screw in the screws.
Also, given that this case has two front fans, a side fan, and a back fan that all blow in (not 100% sure on that) and has two top fans that blow out, which way would you orient the cpu fan for optimum airflow (click here for case)? The motherboard is oriented such that the cpu is right below the 2 top exhaust fans but pretty much right in fron of the back fan.
Remove the side fan completely, it will just disrupt airflow. If you look on the sides of the fans, there should be arrows showing in which direction they blow. Rear and top fans should exhaust air, front and bottom fans should intake air. The CPU cooler should blow towards the rear of the case so that the hot air can quickly be exhausted.

Back
Top Bottom