port dilemma..

Baseband Member
Helo everyone, my name is andrew.
I'm from hungary.

I have a bit problem.
I searched the net for information regarding printer parallel ports.
I can controll the pins manualy on my local machine, I made the led test kit, and was able to do things from DOS without problems.

Now, the problem is the following.
I need to controll a parallel port remotely.

The basic idea is to get a wireless router, and a printserver with parallel port.
It should work,

http://www.tekkies.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=1001

this here gentleman did make it work.

The problem is, it is not described well, and I have no clue how to do it.
I work as a security guard, and winter is commmmmming..
I made a chessy from 4 bicycle wheels and some 12 volt electronic motors,
and made an interface that pluggs into a paralell port.
I plan to use this "gadget" to avoid walking outside when it get cold, and dark. I'm lazy.. You know..

So the "chassy" equipted with an IP cam, and some lights will do the job for me.

So.. I would like to ask, if anyone has the slightest clue how to make a small program to controll the printservers paralell port.

The article says the printserver can be fooled to think there IS a printer connected, by wireing Pin 11 to Pin 20 and Pin 12 to Pin 21.

I found a methood to be able to print to a printserver from dos,
useing a command

net use lpt2 \\pserver\laser1 /persistent:yes

like this.
I understand 'net use lpt2', but .. how I supposed to find out what to write instead of '\\pserver\laser1' ?
'/presistent:yes' is okay, i figured that out.

So.. any clue how to do this?
I'm realy lost, and the damn snow is commmmming soon..
I wanna be ready with this stuff by then. I hate cold weather..

llllllllooook.
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/parallel_output.html

most industrial controll stuff uses the printers port.
switching simple relays is easy with a local printer port.

serial port can do the stuff too, but the easyest way is the printers port.
Only a handfull of resistors and 8 transistors, and 8 relays are needed.

with a bit of experience in circuits one can controll more than 8 relays with one port.

Helo everyone, my name is andrew.
I'm from hungary.

I have a bit problem.
I searched the net for information regarding printer parallel ports.
I can controll the pins manualy on my local machine, I made the led test kit, and was able to do things from DOS without problems.

Now, the problem is the following.
I need to controll a parallel port remotely.

The basic idea is to get a wireless router, and a printserver with parallel port.
It should work,

http://www.tekkies.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=1001

this here gentleman did make it work.

The problem is, it is not described well, and I have no clue how to do it.
I work as a security guard, and winter is commmmmming..
I made a chessy from 4 bicycle wheels and some 12 volt electronic motors,
and made an interface that pluggs into a paralell port.
I plan to use this "gadget" to avoid walking outside when it get cold, and dark. I'm lazy.. You know..

So the "chassy" equipted with an IP cam, and some lights will do the job for me.

So.. I would like to ask, if anyone has the slightest clue how to make a small program to controll the printservers paralell port.

The article says the printserver can be fooled to think there IS a printer connected, by wireing Pin 11 to Pin 20 and Pin 12 to Pin 21.

I found a methood to be able to print to a printserver from dos,
useing a command

net use lpt2 \\pserver\laser1 /persistent:yes

like this.
I understand 'net use lpt2', but .. how I supposed to find out what to write instead of '\\pserver\laser1' ?
'/presistent:yes' is okay, i figured that out.

So.. any clue how to do this?
I'm realy lost, and the damn snow is commmmming soon..
I wanna be ready with this stuff by then. I hate cold weather..

Ur parents stole my name :( but seriously, it would be best to get a USB printer and USB computer (which urs has unless its over 15 years old?)

Did you even read my post? I don't wanna print with it dummy, I need to control relays with it...

most industrial control stuff uses the printers port.
switching simple relays is easy with a local printer port.

serial port can do the stuff too, but the easiest way is the printers port.
Only a handful of resistors and 8 transistors, and 8 relays are needed.

Few questions:
One: Why do you need a wireless Ethernet port if you work security "outside"?
Two: If it's easy then why haven't you done it? Easiest way IS to use a COM Port. Its MADE for the thing you want to do. If you want to set up a wireless relay for printers, why would you want to do that? Ethernet I can understand but you don't really NEED to control that.
Three: Program? Message that guy on that site and he should send you it.

Not really getting the gist of what your problem is here. You want to create a relay for Ethernet,right?

And Deathhell77, because you don't have a high post count, rep doesn't really count from you. And as he said, he didn't want to control printers.

Hey Andrew :)

Please note, what im going to explain wont work with any version of windows past 98 (i.e. 2000 - XP/Vista)

It is possible to control the computer parallel port over the internet (and I assume a local area network) but it requires Linux (specifically server software, for example Apache) as an operating system.

Also, it involves a lot of programming so it depends on your abilities to program. I've looked into using the parallel port myself, mainly to communicate with a micro controller.

Here is a link with all the information you need (be warned, there is ALOT of reading!)

There is an alternative, you can make a simple but long range FM circuit, which works directly to the transistors/relays without the need for a computer (or any coding either depending how complex it needs to be)

FINALY, a worthy post.

Unfortunatly I posted that link too. I done reading it, and YES I know how to controll parallel port. On my computer, and on a remote computer.

BUT, question is, if I use a printservers port (I mean those inexpensive gandgets that plug into LAN, and on the other there is a parallel port) how the hell can I acces it?

Question is, if I use the NET USE command, will ALL commands sent from DOS box to the LPT port in question will be forwarded "AS IS" or not?

To give a basic logic of this:
PC-->WIFI CARD-->WIFI ROUTER-->PRINTSERVER ON ROUTER-->DRIVE CIRCUIT ON PRINTSERVERS PARALLEL PORT--> RELAY(S)-->DC MOTORS.

Thats what I need to achieve.
IF I use the NET USE command, will I be able to use the parallel port on the printserver like a LOCAL port, or not?

Sorry, I didn't notice the other link :eek:

The only problem I can see is that you would need to specify the exact parallel port your trying to use, otherwise it should work :)

Back
Top Bottom