Hard Drive is not being detected. HELP

ZEGERMAN

Beta member
Hello everyone.

I'm a new member here. Joined with hope that I might be able to find help here

Here is my problem.

It's a machine that I built and constantly upgraded for few years now.
Currently running:
ECS P965T-A motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
and 120GB Seagate SATA HD

Recently my HD crashed. I got the blue screen. Windows refused to start up.
It would get to a black screen with Windows XP Professional logo on it and blue screen and start all over again.

Usually I don't spend much time fixing this kind of issues. I simply put the HD in to the external USB case, get all the files from it (using my lap top or other PC) and format it.

This time I ran into a little issue.

Once my HD crashed I follow my usual procedure and put in into USB box to transfer the files from it. But this time I was unable to open the HD and view the files.
Computer saw the HD and the volume of it (120GB) but it was unable to open it and view it.
So I decided to use EASEUS Data Recovery software to recover the files.
I thought since the drive is visible then maybe I can recover the files from it using this software.

So I started the recovery process. And on the first stage (while it was reading the drive) process froze up and I had to cancel it.

After that drive became Invisible. It would not show up in My Computer anymore.

So I put it back into the original tower it came from and started it up again.
I got same thing as I was getting before. Windows would not start up.

So I figured I'll try and repair the Windows.
Put in the CD and started the repairing process.

When CD got all booted up and I clicked "R" to start the repair, first thing it does is verifies the drive.
Well it was stuck at "0" for some time so I just restarted the computer.

Now the drive just does not show up.

My computer is unable to read it and I'm getting CODE 10 error when I hook it up through external USB box.

it seems to be working and makes all the proper noises, it powers up when I hook it up to power but for some reason it's unreadable.

Anything you guys can suggest?

BTW. It crashed after few hours of playing COD4:p ........Not immediately but few hours after it

wow, dude, respect man!!! but if i were you i would get myself another HDD and mourn the casualties (the current HDD) :cool:

well there are two things that are possible. and whats most likely is that the file system is far too corrupt to access anything on the partition(s). the second being that the HDD is defective. i would download a diagnostic ISO and burn it to cd media and give the HDD test a whirl, thatll let you know if its a hardware or software issue. if its the filesystem, your going to have a REALLY hard time getting that data off, assuming that theres any possibility of getting it off.

heres a link to the UBCD, its a pretty resourcefull and completely free diagnostic cd: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

^how do I use that tool to run the diagnostics?

do I run it on the working computer or do I boot that CD with defected HDD installed in the machine?

Never mind. Running the Boot CD right now.

what happens when you change the board on the HDD?

I have two Identical HDDs. If I change to board between them (I'm suspecting that it might be causing the problem) how fvcked up my files going to be on the HDD after that?

What do you mean by change the board? Im thinking you have a virus.
Can you reformat it from a different PC? I know you dont want to loose all your data.

What do you mean by change the board? Im thinking you have a virus.
Can you reformat it from a different PC? I know you dont want to loose all your data.

I mean the main board on a back of HDD where you connect all the wires.

I cant format it.
the drive is unreadable.

well it ain't the board

I swapped that out between two drives and the HDD that was defected in the bigging is still defected.

The other one works just fine with a board from the defected HDD.

Damn. I wonder what's wrong with that thing.
It's good that it's covered under warranty.

BTW if anyone wondering.

If you change the boards between identical HDDs nothing happens to you files.

at least nothing happened to my files on the other HDD, they were still there and readable.

Back
Top Bottom