Need help with proccesor selection

glennlh

Solid State Member
Hi,
I have i decided to use my computer to play some recent games but i ran a scan to see if my computer was capable of running them and it said my processor wasnt good enough. Here is my computer specs:

ASRock P4I65G Motherboard
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
1GB of Ram
Sapphire HD 2600 Pro 512MB DDR2

The processor i was thinking of was the AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+

Will this proccesor work with my motherboard?
Even if it works should i upgrade my motherboard anyway?
If i need a new motherboard could you recommend one which will work with my graphics card?

Thanks Glennlh

Will this proccesor work with my motherboard?
No, they need to be the same socket type (these are not even the same brand).
Even if it works should i upgrade my motherboard anyway?
It won't so yeah you should.
If i need a new motherboard could you recommend one which will work with my graphics card?
For a board, look for something with a Socket AM2 for the processor and a PCI-express x16 for the video card. I don't really know the am2 boards as I don't have one, maybe someone else will have a particular one for you.

Go with the 780G chipset, it's AM2+, so there's Phenom support with HT 3.0 and it is overall a much better chipset than anything Nvidia has to offer ATM. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150281

And go with the HD 3650, not only is it a faster card, it can also work in Crossfire with the 780G's integrated HD 3200 chip.

Also, do you have DDR or DDR2 RAM, you will need DDR2. Just run a program like CPU-Z to check.

Thanks for the advice worshipme,

Im sure im using DDR2 Ram but ill look it up

what games do you plan to play?
Its best to have at least 2GB of ram, and better if you get the one you have now and a new one to run dual channel, or just get a set of 2 x 1GB ram with better speed and timings, and put your other 1gb somewhere.

Long story short. You will pretty much be building a new computer if you want to run the latest games on pretty high settings.

Back
Top Bottom