Need A New Motherboard

rohan23

Fully Optimized
I'm looking for a new motherboard. I will be running 2 8800's in a month or so. So, I will need a P45 Chipset. My CPU is an Intel Q6600. What boards would you guys recommend for around $120.00 to $160.00? And would I be able to use DDR2 memory with it?

if you are planning to SLI, you cant with the P45 chipset.
nVidia limited the Multi-GPU to nVidia chipsets.
but unlike nVidia, ATI's CF can run on the P45 and the X38/X48 chipsets, at least thats what i heard.

the only reason i see for that is the slightly better memory controller.
Since there arent any performance gains in gaming between the PCI-2.0 against the PCI-E 1.0/1.0, why bother trying to get one with PCI-E 2.0. Sure its more future proof. But the only gains are benchmark scores, are they really worth the extra cash just to get a certain score?

Well, as far as I can tell, the 680i isn't even available on Newegg anymore, and the ASUS 750i isn't $20 more than a 680i board.

And if two boards are the same price and have the same advantages/disadvantages, wouldn't you pick the one that has PCI-E 2.0 support over the one with PCI-E 1.0a/1.1 support?

After doing some research online, I've decided to not get a new motherboard. I already have PCI 2.0 on my current one. Instead of spending 160 on a new board and 120 on a new card. I might as well save up a few more dollars and get a high end card.

What size monitor and resolution are you going to be using? Most people that want SLI actually dont need it...

It's a 19'' Widescreen. I mostly only run games at 1440x900. So, I don't really need it after all.

Back
Top Bottom