PSU dead?

matt_g19

Beta member
OK so sunday i was on my desktop when all the sudden it turned off. I went to turn it on and all the sudden i saw from my side panel that there was a flash of light where the PSU connects to the motherboard. From that point i have not been able to turn on the computer.

At this point i took the present motherboard out and put in my old one that i know still works and that one was not able to turn on as well. At this point i am thinking that my PSU is dead. I dont have a spare one to try out at the moment so at this point i would like to know if anyone has experienced something like this happening to them and if it was a dead PSU. Also would my current motherboard be damaged in any way as a result of that light? The old motherboard i tried had my old RAM, GPU and CPU so i hope its not anyone of those that are causing the failure to turn on.

At this point I would say maybe it was some other parts, but all of the sudden, when you said you tested with older parts that were working and just kept the PSU as the control I came, all of the sudden, to the realization, that at this point, it was the PSU :rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

when you mean light...
was it like that light on motherboards showing there is power...usually green in color.
or do you mean light, as in a "spark" light??...
cause if its a "spark" light...then you are probably looking at a larger problem, aka the 24 pin adapter on ur motherboard just blew....first have a look at the board...check to see if there are any signs of burned areas or melted plastic...usually a good start...then when you get your new psu...plug it in and see if she powers up :)

As far as i could till there is no physical damage to the board. No melted parts or burns. I have an Asus M2N-SLI non deluxe board if that helps any.

And no i meant like a spark of white light not the green bulb that tells that there is power to the board. The board is only 2 months old i bought it in July. Would is be possible that if there was something wrong with the board that i would have it covered under warranty?

Is the PSU under warranty? I would swap the PSU first. It's really hard to test a motherboard without a PSU that you know is working.

Its a generic power supply as far as i can tell. Im not even sure if it has a warranty. I have an Antec 430W PSU but it is not a 24 connecter its the older 20 pin connecter. Can i use that to test it? I didnt think i could.

Back
Top Bottom