questios from a beginner

alot of money? 10$ a month?

You are talking about a ton of work to save $100 a year. You could pay for that by going out to dinner 2 or 3 times less that year.

Look all he asked is if it were possible and how to do it,
I'm providing advise based on those answers.

oddly enough he'd have to go through the same steps of setting up a server if he decided to buy a rack in a data centre and fill it up with his own servers.

or he could go the really easy route of just buying hosting.

which, yes, is a lot easier, but doesn't leave a lot to talk about.

try to remember that this thread isn't just going to help out 1 person who wants to know how to set-up a web server, there will be plenty of other people who may want to know.

what the hell are you telling him.

No your isp wont let you, and you dont have a static ip so you cant. wrong

Goto www.godaddy.com sign up for web hosting and let them run your webpage for $5 a month its all taken care for you .. all you do is upload content.Please read the thread, this was already suggested but he wants to lean how to do it himself.

for imap email you can get it for $1 per user per month. See above
for exchange email you can get it for $6 per user per month.See above

If you want to setup a server for home because you want to learn .. do it .. but dont run a buisness this way. Lots of businesses are run this way

Your power goes out, website down. How many minutes a year is your power out?
Server crashes, website down. What do you do when a 3rd party server crashes? Nothing, at least with your own server you can fix it.
Internet goes down, website down. Again how many minutes a year is your internet down?
Are you going to do backups? It's not any harder than backing up one directory.
Who you going to call when your server crashes? No one, that's the whole point!
Ill fix it for 120 a hour.
I dont know of any buisnesses that run their external website localy .. Well at least you admit you don't have much experience. perhaps ones that maintain their own datacenters

You can host a website with a dynamic IP address. Since you don't even know that very basic fact I'll have to discredit the rest of your post as "its not in my book so it can't work drivel".

And to come on here and try to discourage someone from learning how to setup and run a website also says a lot about you.

It's his family farm website, not a fortune 500 company, I think he can get it working just fine on a DSL connection and one computer. I've hosted a website and PHP forums on the same setup. :mad:

if you say so.

because hosting a website with no-ip.com looks real good.

Whatever, if he wants to do it wrong his choice. You can run a server internaly to learn .. i disagree with using his family farm as his learning tool.

I see no need for personal attacks, just because i disagree with you gives you no right to attack me. He asked for ideas, i gave him mine you gave him yours let him decide.

That no ip thing looks useful i will probably use it. I think that until i get home yo work on this i do not need to much more advice. I think my family's farm is perfect for learning on. it will probably only get 5 visits a week if we are lucky, this site is mostly to get our name out there. very few farms our size have website just having a site gives us and advantage even if it is not professional quality it i a site and i will have learned a lot about servers/internet.

if you say so.

because hosting a website with no-ip.com looks real good.

Whatever, if he wants to do it wrong his choice. You can run a server internaly to learn .. i disagree with using his family farm as his learning tool.

I see no need for personal attacks, just because i disagree with you gives you no right to attack me. He asked for ideas, i gave him mine you gave him yours let him decide.

well.. you clearly didn't read my post. I never said that you just registered a no-ip name as your site.

I said you register a subdomain, (we'll suggest farmDNS.no-ip.org to make the example easier).

then you point the name servers for your farm to ns1.farmDNS.no-ip.org,

your own name server on your IP address contains the records for your site, (thefarm.com) which is registered as a CNAME of farmDNS.no-ip.org

so, IF your IP changes, the no-ip client updates.
then your DNS server updates then your .com domain name updates.

now externally it looks as though you have a .com name registered in a normal way.

He's not doing it wrong, he's just doing it a way you either don't know or haven't thought of.

What's wrong with using his family site to learn on? he's got to learn somewhere, and since this actually has a point, he's much more likely to see it through than if he just set up a simple hello world site, or set up a personal blog or something.

(trust me from day to day I see all kinds of things that may be considered amature in big business networks)

and as I pointed out before, not everyone wants or even needs professional hosting.

Listen guys, I've never used no-ip.com before. I have always hosted on a DSL line in this order.

#1. Buy your domain name. I like to use godaddy, so I would go there and register chickenloverfarm.com. : )

#2. Create an account at http://freedns.afraid.org/
From your godaddy control panel point your DNS servers to the DNS servers at http://freedns.afraid.org/

#3. Go here http://freedns.afraid.org/scripts/freedns.clients.php and download one of the free dns clients. They have them that will run on windows or linux. It's basically a script that checks your external IP every 5 minutes. If it changes then it automatically logs into your freeDNS account and points chickenloverfarm.com to you new external ip address.

That's it. All this is assuming that you have a web server running and the ports on your firewall open already.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hey Bilbus, if you charge 120 an hour, just think how much I could charge!!!

well what you charge all depends on what your customer is willing to pay.

I know that my company quotes £950 a day for my time. that's £120 an hour ($228USD) per hour. -of course I don't see all of that!

Anyway... regardless of whether this is a good idea or not to host your businesses site at your business premises, it's a discussion of how to set up a web/mail server, shall we keep it that way?

you can host with a free name. but it won't look as professional.

Back
Top Bottom