Home Network Setup

jay8990

Daemon Poster
Hi guys! Long time no see!

Im after some help... My home network is slow due to the walls and range :( Specifically media centre and xbox live are at the opposite side of the house from the router they are currently connected wirelessly to. Im happy to run a cable under the floor to them to provide them with the speed they really need, but im a bit of a newbie when it comes to networking!

Can someone check my diagram and give some advice? I figure I need a switch at far end as Im connecting 2 devices? But honestly... I dunno!

What you guys reckon?

Aside from the crossover cable it looks find, just a regular Ethernet cable would be what you want. The switch wouldn't be needed persay, but if you have it in there you only need one cable where as if you didn't you'd need to run 2.

Ahh ok...

I wrote corssover cable as it was this switch I saw.. (cheap as!)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132456

and in the reviews 2 people say to use a crossover cable?

And for the actual physical setup all i do is plug the 25m cable into a port on the adsl router and then just plug the other end into a port on the 5port switch and plug media plus xbox into other ports on the switch? that simple!?

wierd, well, that's odd. With the network we have at work we have switches all over (been doing a lot of patching together with new employees and stuff and didn't want to run new cabling through the floor) I haven't been using crossovers at all. Maybe there is something weird about that switch. I guess it would probably be a good thing to pick up just in case, they aren't very spendy.

If he's going to run a cable to another wireless router, why center it? Butr yes, xtremez has it right, i've used a standard Ethernet cable to hookup my router to my switch at home and everything works fine. I would think you'd run into problems with a crossover but it may just work... Other than that, what you have in mind looks good.

As a side note, switches are virtually impossible to mess up durring install. All you need to do is plug in the input cable (convention says use port one, but most don't care what port you plug the input into) and all the other ports can be used as an output.

I meant to separate my thoughts. He can center it OR get another wireless router and run a cable if he wants to keep avoiding even more cables.

Hey,

I am new to these things and I hope you can help me out.
I want to get into networking but I not sure were to start.
I know there are a lot of networking programs out there, I just need some where to start and I can take from there.
Any suggestions will be very helpful and hopefully I can help you out later.

Cheers

xeslaro

I meant to separate my thoughts. He can center it OR get another wireless router and run a cable if he wants to keep avoiding even more cables.

He wants to get rid of the wires going to the media center and xbox because of the bandwidth requirements for watching movies and stuff. Have wireless on the xbox AND the media center would be very laggy watching movies and such. Sounds like he gets signal fine, just not enough bandwidth over the wireless.

Back
Top Bottom