simple question about upgrading RAM

JDM96R

Solid State Member
What happens if install some new RAM into my friends computer and the type of memory stick that i happen to be installing into their computer is not compatible for his computer. Will anything bad happen to the computer? or will the computer simply not identify/read the new RAM and remain the same as before?

Cheers

DDR, DDRII, and DDRIII RAM will not fit in the same slot. They all have a key located in a different spot that won't let you insert it all the way. If you try too hard, you may break something.

DDR, DDRII, and DDRIII RAM will not fit in the same slot. They all have a key located in a different spot that won't let you insert it all the way. If you try too hard, you may break something.

From what I've heard DDRII and DDRIII fit in the same slot, they're not electronically compatible.

The notch is in a different position.

ddr2-vs-ddr3_thumb.jpg

But if you flip the RAM won't it fit? From what I've read, I had thought it was only different in electronic compatibility.

the RAM should be labeled as DDR2 or DDR3 unless the sticker is gone, and as for the motherboard, if its a brand computer, it will be most likely a DDR2, unless it specifies.
Search your MOBO or Brand computer.
I think it would damage the RAM, so i wouldnt recommend trying, you could try if you dont mind sacrificing a board and ram if things go wrong.

DDR2 and DDR3 memory is not interchangable.

We don't even know if that is what the OP is referring to either, he may be asking about DDR333 and DDR400 for all we know as he gave no specific detail in his question

Back
Top Bottom