Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt

nick012

Beta member
Hello

Today, my computer was frozen, and despite everything I tried, I could not unfreeze it, so i had to shut it down with the power button.

When I turned it back on, it said "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

It said "You can attempt to repair this file by starting the Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM. Select "r" at the first screen to start repair"

My computer came with Windows XP, and I do not have a windows xp CD. However, I have an old windows XP upgrade CD. I put this in, i booted from the CD, i got to the page where I could select R to start the repair. I got to the recovery console, and I tried to type in some of the commands that I had found on the internet from people who were having the same problem and all I got was "access is denied", "there is no floppy disk or CD in the drive" or "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"

Please help if you can. I desperately need it. I'm on my laptop right now but i need access to my desktop ASAP.

So you cant get to the desktop any longer?
Was there a option to "D"elete your partition?
There should be some options BESIDES repair...PM me

did you enter the right administrator password on the recovery console/
why not just repair the installation. you wont lose anything, and it should fix the problem. should be ok with an upgrade cd.

Back
Top Bottom