whats the right way to OC

amp27

Daemon Poster
i want to get some more power out of my pc and i use the oc program that comes with the motherboard but am not happy with it. i no your supposed to use the bois but how. i have have seen the stuff but am confused.

please help

When you start up the computer there should be a prompt or something of the sort before you hear the POST beep for a normal start up. For me and my Asus motherboard, I have to hit delete to enter the BIOS set up. In the BIOS there should be options regarding voltages, frequencies, and others of the sort. It's in this menu where you should preform most of the customizing of clock speeds.

The one thing you want to do when overclocking to get the most out of your CPU is to get a higher FSB speed. A higher FSB speed means you keep a 1 to 1 ratio with your ram and your CPU. This ratio is quite important if you want to see any results. When Overclocking you want your RAM to increase in speed at the same time your CPU increases in speed. If you have your RAM faster than your CPU's FSB speed, then it defaults the point of a overclock as it creates a bottleneck. If your CPU is faster than your RAM then it is held back because of the RAM can't keep up with the CPU.

Now with your CPU from your sig, you want to have the highest FSB without giving up your CPU speed. (What model CPU is that?) So what you want is to raise the FSB and decrease the Mulitplier so your CPU is at the same speed.

For you, I would set it up to have a 3.2Ghz CPU speed. So, because an AMD platform's FSB is set to 200Mhz and useally has a multiple of 5(Equals the speed of the Hypertransport, confusing so wait for someone else so answer). So for you, set up the FSB to 210Mhz(take small steps) and the Multiplier to 15 so your CPU speed equals 3.15Ghz. Then if your stable, move up to 220Mhz FSB and a multiplier of 15(3.3Ghz) or 14.5(3.19Ghz) if you can set a half a multiplier(not sure, but I believe you can). Then if you can continue, Go to a 230Mhz FSB and a multiplier of 14 and you have a CPU speed of 3.22Ghz. Go as far as you can until you encounter instabilities or can't boot up. I personally don't like increasing voltages, but make sure you get the most out of that voltage change.

I have gotten my 5600+ to 3Ghz without a change in voltage by just changing my FSB. I don't have a unlocked multiplier (at least I don't think so) so I can't change my multiplier.

Happy Overclocking.

NEED WOW NOW, I know that you said to wait for someone else with more knowledge, but I have a question (I only know a little about OCing and that's with Intel). My HTT is 2000MHz, 5400+ BE, however, my multiplier is not a multiple of 15, any bottleneck in performance from this?

^ You really need to start another thread, because you're starting to hijack this one.

If you see it that way, I figured the information given would apply to the both of us assuming Amp's processor practically mine with faster stock clocks.

Since 01001010 is gone, I'll post this last thing for tonight.

I think your confusing "Mhz" with "MT/s". Basically, Hypertransport is a bidirectional bus so it can send and retrieve data at the same time.

You usually see motherboard or CPU packaging labeled with the use of a 2000MT/s FSB because its just as everything else, manufacturers advertise the "effective" speed instead of the actual speed. The Hypertransport bus is usually set to 200Mhz with a Multiplier of 5 which sets it to 1000Mhz. I believe that the 1000Mhz is the actual clock, but I haven't been very successful in finding information on how the HTT link is linked to the actual speed of Ram.

An Intel system is much more simpler in terms of overclocking but that's a difference story.

Here's a link on the whole MT thing:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/168768-30-1600-2000-confused-help
Here's an example of the whole advertising thing. Look at the specifications on the motherboards FSB here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131011

holy shit i am confuzed lol. i have seen the 200 number but cant change it. and the mutiplier goes in huge steps. but i am sure i am seeing wrong. would my bois have anything to do with this

My multiplier goes by .5. I'm curious as to why you can't change your frequency. You have a BE, it should be unlocked. I could change mine, but the only thing I don't want to do is void the warranty, because I can't afford a new processor right now if something goes wrong.

you joga you have a boistar board too. so we can relate. but i am not sure whats whats are there videos

Back
Top Bottom