Help on building new pc?

ejl

Baseband Member
Hey there, I was planning on getting a new computer built and was wondering if you guys could help me out and give some opinions. I think i have a general idea of what i'm going to need so here i will list it and please put in some input on it. Planning on using it for mostly games/school.

Processor: Intel core2duo E7200? or Quad core processor? not sure which i should get.
Motherboard: Asus P45 board?
RAM: 4gb
Video card: Either nVidia gefore 8800 or ATI HD4850 since i hear thats one of the best at the moment.
HDD: 500gb + (any specifics/ recommendations?)
PSU: Anything 600w + ?
Fan: Don't know.

So if you guys could tell me if this is generally a good build and tell me which options are good or not or recommend me some items / specifications. I would like to keep my budge around 1k USD range. The help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Processor: Intel core2duo E7200? or Quad core processor? not sure which i should get.

The E7200 looks like a great processor, and since its Intel, it can be easily overclocked. But most people will say go with the Q6600 which is a quad core, and it costs $70 more on newegg.

Motherboard: Asus P45 board?

From what i heard, this is a great board, it also has great OC feature.

You will only need 4Gb of ram if you plan on running Vista, though a 32 bit windows only registers 3.25GB - 3.50GB. Although, 2GB is sufficient enough.
OCZ, Corsair, Crucial, and some others i forgot.... makes some great RAM.

Video card: Either nVidia gefore 8800 or ATI HD4850 since i hear thats one of the best at the moment.

I would go with the 4850 since its better than the 8800GT. but the 8800GT is about $80 cheaper depending on which model you get. But i would probably pay the $10-$20 extra from the price of the 8800GT for the 9800GT, they perform the same, but the 9800GT has a few minor changes, but the 9800GT will last longer than the 8800GT since the 8xxx series is starting to fade. Is it worth the extra? its your choice

HDD: 500gb + (any specifics/ recommendations?)

from other posts, the Samsung Spinpoint F1 is the fastest 7200 RPM HDD out, i never tried it, but i did try other samsung HDD, and they are pretty reliable.

500W should be enough for this build, but it is a good idea to get a bigger one for future upgrades, and its best to go with quality PSU, then a cheap one. Its better in a long run.
OCZ, Antec, FSP, Silverstone, PC Power and Cooling, Corsair makes great PSU from what i have been hearing.

Fan: Don't know

you could get an aftermarket HSF for your CPU to make it run cooler if you plan to OC, though it could be pretty big depending on which one you get. As for case fans, check what your case can hold and buy some fans to put.

What do you plan on using this build for?

where do you live?
and do you already have the monitor and peripherals?

Um, southern CA. I have a monitor, thinking about possibly dual screening. By peripherals do you mean mouses, keyboard etc.? If so then yes.

theres
Newegg
Tigerdirect
and
Micro Center

you can order the parts from those three sites, or posts links here and we will see if they are good or not.

Theres 2 Micro Center stores in CA,
one in Santa Clara
and the other in Tustin

i dont know if those are close to you or not, but Micro Center is a great department store to get computer parts for cheap. though not cheaper than online, but sometimes some of it will be on sale, and it will be cheaper than online.

I was about to recommend the E7200 too, but then I saw the Phenom 9600 BE at $119!! That's just too good of a deal to pass up, and they overclock like champs with the new SB750 southbridge.

780GX/SB750 - Crossfire 8x + 8x support + decent Phenom OC'ing capabilities.
Or if you can afford to spend a bit more 790FX/SB750 board - Quad Crossfire support + best board for Phenom overclocking on the market.
Definitely 1066 to take advantage of K10's improved IMC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227298
The HD 4850 if you have the money, the 8800GT if you don't. The HD 4850 is noticeably faster, I know since I used to own a GT.
OCZ 500W
Fan: Don't know.
CPU HSF? The Xigmatek HDT-S1284 is a great cooler at a decent price.

And for the case, I would recommend the CM RC-690.

Back
Top Bottom