windows xp max ram??

justinups

In Runtime
what is the max ram windows xp can use.i have heard 4 gigs but if thats the max then y would you need a motherboard that supported more then that.(besides a server)

Most people the 32bit XP. In that case, the max will be 3.5GB

But if you run 64bit the max is a lot higher.. I'm not sure that exact amount.

Most people the 32bit XP. In that case, the max will be 3.5GB

This is incorrect. A 32bit OS has the ability to address 4 gigabytes of memory. Now you may notice after you dropped in your 4 gigs of ram it shows up and 3.25gb or 3.5gb, this is because there is other memory in your computer that is address before your RAM. This could include a video card, sound card, or anything else in your system, the RAM is the last thing that is address and gets whatever is left over.

tcracker's other statement is correct - 64 bit OS can address much more, some versions of vista such as ultimate can address 128gb I believe.A 64 bit OS can address up to 2^64 - 1 or ~18.45 exabytes, more than we could ever comprehend using currently.

you guys are wrong it goes by systems capacity if i bought a motherboard that supports 8 gigs it will show 8 gigs maybe some will not show to dead sectors on the chip but right around 8 gigs will show xp's service pack 2 and greater changed the memory table limit especially for rack mount boards for business use. most motherboards in the 2000-2005 didnt support more then 4 gigs as they stated 3.5 was what it would read but due to gamming growth with wow and crysis and other high powered games the systems have changed 10 fold

i agree with xtremezx2, although i do believe that vista sp1 shows all 4gb, but cant use it all or something.
simply, if you want 4gb or more ram then go 64bit. if not stop moaning :p

IconZ - don't post info like that when you don't know what your talking about.

dude_se - You are correct in that vista shows all the ram you have (actually I think it will tell you that you have 8 if you have it installed, but 32 bit can't address it and hence can't use it). I think M$ actually did this in XP SP3 as well. It's just something to keep the people who don't know whats going on a little happier, LoL.

you guys are wrong it goes by systems capacity if i bought a motherboard that supports 8 gigs it will show 8 gigs maybe some will not show to dead sectors on the chip but right around 8 gigs will show xp's service pack 2 and greater changed the memory table limit especially for rack mount boards for business use. most motherboards in the 2000-2005 didnt support more then 4 gigs as they stated 3.5 was what it would read but due to gamming growth with wow and crysis and other high powered games the systems have changed 10 fold

server editions maybe but otherwise you are wayy off. research before posting.

Actually i have 7 gigs in my second computer and it shows it all its amd 4800+ running xp sp2 so research your self i use it for video editing and adobe indesign so meh keep on saying research it

Actually i have 7 gigs in my second computer and it shows it all its amd 4800+ running xp sp2 so research your self i use it for video editing and adobe indesign so meh keep on saying research it

XP updated the OS so it will display the correct amount, but it can not address more than 4gb of physical memory with any version of xp other than 64 bit. See my previous post where I state this as well. Server OSs are another story like Celegorm said because they have support built in for extended addressing. I've done a lot of research on the subject, if all you've done is look in properties to see the amount of ram then you don't know what you talking about. M$ simply detects the amount of ram in the computer and puts it there, this is a recent thing they did because when they gave the amount of addressed memory people whined because it only said 3.25gb or something similar depending on what else you have in your computer.

If you still don't believe me, check the link:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEdrv.mspx

This is a site about PAE (physical address extension) that is used in servers to get more address space for physical memory, notice that ALL versions of XP (32bit mind you) are limited to 4 gb.

Back
Top Bottom