Help with Overclocking...

StratosP

Fully Optimized
Hello, I am new to overclocking and I am not %100 on how to do it. I have tried overclocking my CPU in my BIOS settings but I cannot change the CPU speed. I have also tried overclocking it with software by CPUID, which imo are a good brand but there program "Clockgen" doesn't seem to like my computer. Every time I overclock my CPU a couple of mhz it just comes up with a memory error with random numbers and reboots my computer. Thankfully Clockgen doesn't make the adjustment permanent, I will give you my system specifications if it can help you. (oh and btw, I know my computer is slow, I am upgrading soon to a medium-high end gaming build)

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0ghz
Mobo: Asus K8N-E Deluxe
RAM: 1gb DDR (512mbx2)
GPU: 7600GS
HDD: 300gb SATA, 75gb IDE, 12gb IDE

---You probably don't need to know the rest, but I'm bored =P---

Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40
KB&M: Microsoft Wireless Comfort Keyboard, Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse2
Case: pfft some random *but good looking* box
PSU: 500w
Printer: HP Photosmart All-in-One 2575
Monitor: LG L1710S (i think it's a 15")

If you need any more information, please don't hesitate to ask. Your help is greatly appreciated, thank you all! ;)

What's your BIOS like? Do you have a lot of options? Control over voltages?

Your CPU speed = HTT clock x multiplier. In the 3000+'s case, 2.0GHz = 200 x 10. Your multiplier is likely to be locked, but perhaps you can raise it slightly. If it is indeed locked, you'll need to raise the HTT clock. Increase in jumps of 5MHz-10MHz at a time, checking for stability between every jump. When you lose instability, just raise the Vcore slightly. Make sure your memory stays in spec.

EDIT: Also, remember to set your PCI-E clock to 100MHz, so that your graphics card doesn't get overclocked at the same time.

did you went to the option where they let you mess with stuff? seems like your on the hardware specs one.
but if not, then as what NEED WOW NOW said about the brand name.

I'm not sure if my FSB and Multiplier is locked, but on Clockgen it can modify it but my comp shuts down.
My computer is old, but it is custom made by by me.

i wouldnt recommend OC'ing through windows, its best to go through BIOS, maybe get a camera and take a picture of your bios.
the bios should look like the one on this page, it is your mobo isnt it?
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1642&page=2

side question - If AMD multiplier is locked, then how come me and my friends can change it? though it wont go higher, but it can always go lower.

Yeah my BIOS is like that, I'll take some pics later once I get some stuff sorted out.

Back
Top Bottom