Sharing a printer on wireless network

mynameismolotov

Beta member
Hey all I'm trying to setup my girlfriend's printer to be shared on her wireless network. The printer is a Cannon Pixma MP150. My first question is can it be shared over the nyetwork without being connected to a computer (just the router)? This is what I'm trying to do so if it isn't possible then I guess everything else here is irrelevant.

If that is a possibility though, how can I do this? The setup now is a cable modem with a wireless router attached to it. All the computers are laptops wirelessly connected; no desktops and no ethernet cables apart from the one between router and modem. The modem came with a wire to allow it to connect to a USB port to set it up, so I was trying to use it to connect the printer to the modem and have it be shared that way. I installed the driver for the printer on my computer, then disconnected the printer from it and tried to print wirelessly, but I just got an error saying to make sure it's connected properly. Anyone have any ideas on how I could make this work? Thanks

It won't work with that printer unless your router has some kind of print server feature. what kind of router do you have?

Hey all I'm trying to setup my girlfriend's printer to be shared on her wireless network. The printer is a Cannon Pixma MP150. My first question is can it be shared over the nyetwork without being connected to a computer (just the router)? This is what I'm trying to do so if it isn't possible then I guess everything else here is irrelevant.

If that is a possibility though, how can I do this? The setup now is a cable modem with a wireless router attached to it. All the computers are laptops wirelessly connected; no desktops and no ethernet cables apart from the one between router and modem. The modem came with a wire to allow it to connect to a USB port to set it up, so I was trying to use it to connect the printer to the modem and have it be shared that way. I installed the driver for the printer on my computer, then disconnected the printer from it and tried to print wirelessly, but I just got an error saying to make sure it's connected properly. Anyone have any ideas on how I could make this work? Thanks

That USB port on your "modem" is for hooking up a computer only. That printer you mentioned will not work unless it's attached to a computer or a print server.

You have 3 basic options:

1. Select a laptop that will act as your print server (thus become stationary) and share the printer.
2. Lose the printer and buy an All-In-One with an ethernet connection.
3. Lose the wireless router and purchase this Netgear with built-in printer server (note the USB ports) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122151

I think the 3rd option may be your best bet ... since you can either offset the cost of a new router by selling your existing wireless router or use it elsewhere. And would pretty much solve your problem.

yea not all routers come with usb cables. my bthomehub luckily came with a standard usb port that you could setup for a printer.
out of the 3 above it say either use a pc to share the printer, or get a new router. most new decent ones should have some sort of print server ability. just depends if you have money to spend.

I think the 3rd option may be your best bet ... since you can either offset the cost of a new router by selling your existing wireless router or use it elsewhere. And would pretty much solve your problem.

Their's a big issue of compatibility with cheaper printers and print servers. Alot of the cheap low end printers simply won't work with your average "dumb" printserver.

The router is a Netgear WGR614.

How much does a print server cost roughly, and is it difficult to set up at all?

They go anywhere from about $50 USD up

yea not all routers come with usb cables. my bthomehub luckily came with a standard usb port that you could setup for a printer.
out of the 3 above it say either use a pc to share the printer, or get a new router. most new decent ones should have some sort of print server ability. just depends if you have money to spend.

Most decent routers lack a print server. Only a very small number on the market have one. It's an improper security practice to have a print server on a router, but its a handy shortcut for someone in a home office enviroment sometimes.

ive seen a few around, and if the bt homehub has one then theres hope :p
i meant to write usb port not cable above ^
im just having a wierd day where i dunno what im saying/typing
... im pretty sure im sober too :confused:

I guess I didn't see the Canon printer the OP listed as low-end. Netgear's website doesn't list that exact model printer as one that is compatible, but it also doesn't say that it isn't. Says the pixma mp210 is compatible, but don't know if there are huge differences between the mp150 and mp210. Here's the link for the compatiblity list for the Netgear router above: http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101216.asp

***And the reason for saying the 3rd option may be the OP's best option, is because all pc's on his network are laptops ... he'd lose the mobility of one of the laptops if one became the printer server. He can always research to find a wireless router with print server ability that has proven compatibility with his particular printer if the one I listed isn't satisfactory.

why not try to share your printer from one pc then share it to your network. just map the printer for easy access.

errrr

Back
Top Bottom