Hardware swap.

CrackerJacker1

Daemon Poster
Well Heres the situation. I have my old PC build that I'm going to give to my family.

Right now the family computer is using a Intel P4, pc2700 ram, 9600 ATi on a vista OS

If I switch of the computer with a AMD Athlon, different motherboard, and a newer ATI video card. Will windows Vista still boot up. I know I'm going to replace all the drivers but It will really suck if I have to resort to a reformat..

theres a really high chance and recommended to reformat your computer when you swap out the motherboard.

From what I know you might have to buy a new OS CD if you switch out the motherboard. I don't know and I am wishing to find out the answer to that as well as I am going to upgrade sometime next year.

This is were the question comes in, do you have a retail or OEM version of the software. I personally am confused like hell with the difference.

Its not the question of a reformat, but the question of Operating system working etc.

I'm not really sure... I believe my dad bought a retail verison of it but I could be wrong... I'll find out as soon I see him again

Anyways I'm going to try it. If it doesn't work out, I guess I'll just have to put the old hardware back in and backup all the files.

why not back up all the files now so you dont need to waste anytime taking it out and stuff?

Well, I dont really have my external hard drive with me right.. so Unless i want to put everything on a billion regular CDS i'll have to wait a few days. :(

This is were the question comes in, do you have a retail or OEM version of the software. I personally am confused like hell with the difference.

OEM can be installed on one computer. And you can reinstall it on that computer as much as you want. Retail allows you to install on any computer, but you can only have 1 copy running at once.

couldnt retail be used on as much computer as possible as long as you dont register it or do the automatic updates?
though, i dont know if thats legal

Technically, yes. However I do not condone it as it's illegal. Plus it's a waste of time. After 30 days, it will be locked until you register.

I read that this guy made a successful switch by deleting his Video drivers, chipset driver and such. FYI but i'll wait to backup the files. (I hate waiting lol)

Back
Top Bottom