2nd HDD not showing

Rzrseg

Beta member
Hey all,

I'm running Window XP Pro and have two HDD's. "C" for the OS and "F" for all my data. I wiped and reloaded my C drive and now my F isn't showing in My Computer. It shows in the BIOS and in the Disk Management it shows as Healthy and Active (NTFS). When I right click on it, the option to Change Drive letter is greyed out. The only options that are live are Delete Partition and Help.

I've come across this before...probably the last time I did this, but I can't remember what I did to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (and written down this time :) ).

Many thanks,
David

is it actually formatted?

I mean I can't see anything else because if it shows in bios and not in the device manager it will be down the partitioning

is it actually formatted?

I mean I can't see anything else because if it shows in bios and not in the device manager it will be down the partitioning
Yes, it's an existing drive that has approximately 100 gig worth of data on it. Backed-up data, but I'd still rather figure out what's going on here rather than formatting it and dumping the data back on it.

If it's hooked up to a raid controller, make sure the drivers for that are properly installed.

Try -
Turning the PC off. unplug the drive. Start the pc back up. Then turn it back off, adn plus it in.
I had this porblem before, and thats what I did. Then When i turned it back on, it recognized the drive and installed the drivers.

EDIT -Is it in device manager by any chance?

Try -
Turning the PC off. unplug the drive. Start the pc back up. Then turn it back off, adn plus it in.
I had this porblem before, and thats what I did. Then When i turned it back on, it recognized the drive and installed the drivers.

EDIT -Is it in device manager by any chance?
Tried that one before (I unplugged the SATA cable), didn't work unfortunately.

It is in the device manager.

Well Like others have said its probably the partioning. Next time unplug it before you format.

Well Like others have said its probably the partioning. Next time unplug it before you format.
Hmm..I'm not sure I understand. Why (how?) would formating my C drive effect a completely separate hard drive?

Also, this has happened before (a few years ago the last time I did this) and someone...somewhere had the solution, I just can't remember what it was. It's not a lost cause. :)

Oh, and as an adder, I forgot this part. The C drive is hooked up with a regular IDE cable and the drive that isn't showing is hooked up with a SATA cable.

..and as another adder, while it does come up in the Disk Management screen, the drive doesn't show up in the Disk Defragmenter screen (but the C drive does)

Back
Top Bottom