Help with build please. NOOB.

The Motherboard I chose works with ddr3...just figured Id get the 2k ones and be doen for a bit.
DDR3 is no use on current Intel FSB based platforms because the FSB bottlenecks DDR3's higher bandwidth. Memory bandwidth can never be higher than that of the FSB. For exemple, FSB is 400MHz, that's 400MHz memory frequency (=DDR 800), any memory frequency higher than that will not bring any performance because the FSB will bottleneck. You're better off saving your money and going with cheaper DDR2. You won't lose any performance.
COOLING
Thermal Take Big Water 760i Liquid Cooling System Kit (8.4 lbs)
You say you overclock? Are you a serious overclocker or just someone who's going to settle for 3.2GHz on the Q6600? If it's the latter, then WC'ing isn't worth it, just pick up a half decent HSF, no need to spend more money than you have to. If it's the former, do what others have suggested and put together your own kit by buying the parts separately.
EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLI Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, eSATA, RAID (4.85 lbs)
Drop the Nvidia motherboard, please. They are completely outperformed and outclassed by Intel alternatives such as the X48 or P45, especially overclocking wise. If you want to keep the multi-GPU upgrade path, you could swap out the GX2 for a HD 4870 or two: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125225 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131117
The first link is a standard reference design, and the second is Powercolor's PCS edition which is factory overclocked, has a much improved cooler, better VREG components, power design and supposedly features the Super RV770 chip (higher binned).

Here's the RAM I would recommend.

And the motherboard.

And the PSU.

Hope that helps.

I agree with Joga on the HDD as well.

I don't know anything about watercooling, but get it. Just find the right brand. Don't bother buying 1600MHz RAM because you're only going to use 667MHz with a stock Q6600 and 800Mhz with an OC'ed FSB of 400Mhz. For the price of 2 9800GX2, I would get an HD4870 and then have room to add another for CF when the card is cheaper. With that said, get an Intel chipset that supports CF. Do not waste your money on 10k's yet. Like mentioned by Worshipme in many threads, go with the Samsung Spinpoint F1 which is supposedly the fastest 7.2k RPM.

that board will go higher than 1600 on the FSB, it comes at 1600 stock, OC'ed probably goes to 2000 or so, 1066mhz DDR2 would be worth it on that board...

All of those alternative parts you listed have terrible reviews.

Terrible reviews? PC Power & Cooling make one of the best PSU's around; that's a fact. Just because an item doesn't get 90%+ doesn't mean it's bad. Worshipme has great knowledge in computers. I would listen to him. Heck, if I disagree on something with him I probably would listen to him over me.

All of those alternative parts you listed have terrible reviews.
Terrible reviews? The only thing I see with average reviews is the reference HD 4870, and that's only because of n00bs who think that 85c load is too high for a GPU. You can easily increase the fan speed to around 35% if you want with Rivatuner. That, or pay the extra for Powercolor's PCS HD 4870.

Thanks Joga.

Both Joga and worshipme are knowledgeable members here. Like they say, the parts you listed are fine, just skip the liquid cooling. If you wanna go that route, it costs a lot more money for it to be worth it.

i dont think Liquid cooling is worth it.
I got a client that wants one so he makes his brother build (that i recently built) jealous of his computer, and he wont be overclocking.
Only get liquid cooling if you tend to OC by a lot, other than that, an $50 HSF should be sufficient enough to overclock your CPU. though i dont know about the chipsets...

I think water cooling is worth it, if you know what you are doing. If you're an inexperienced overclocker, or just starting out. It's better to stick with air cooling.

I would switch to WC'ing if only I could afford it :p

I can afford it, but it's just that I'd rather not spend the money on it when I don't really need it.

Back
Top Bottom