Do I really need a firewall?

C E Jones

Baseband Member
I just replaced my hard drive and I'm trying to decide whether to install a firewall. I found it slowed my computer down noticeably, in addition to endless annoying alerts, which were NEVER of anything actually dangerous, with my last computer and I'm wondering what the real risks are of just doing without one. I was running Comodo, and would probably just go with it again.

I'm not managing databases of credit card numbers or anything, just the usual typing and surfing stuff. So would it be very reckless to just do without firewall?

-cej

i havent bothered installing a firewall on my stepdads computer. this is for several reasons:
1) the spec of the pc is crappy so it would slow it down even more
2) all he does is web surf a little on ebay and other mainstream sites
3) the windows firewall offers basic protection
4) most routers now days have a built in firewall

i personally wouldnt want to run my pc without a firewall because of all the things i download/the sites i go on, and it just gives me peace of mind. although you are still at risk without one, its worth considering the above and deciding if you really need one.

u must install an antivirus, they protect ur computer from potentiol meltdowns. Trust me, install one

Your cable/or DSL modem probaby has some sort of firewall abilites. Just use that and you won't need to worry about one hogging up space on your OS. I have went for a few months at a time with no anti-virus on my computer but I wouldn't say its a good idea, that was a few years ago and with all the stuff out there on the web now I probably wouldn't do it again.

Just go with your routers and windows defender they work pretty nicely together

Anything else just causes so many problems for your games/applications

You'll be okay

I've never bothered with a firewall and never had any problems. You need an antivirus but firewalls aren't so necessary

Just get a free anti virus and don't worry about a firewall, if you want a free firewall just use the windows one that's built in, but that's bout it, don't go paying for some cpu hog software.

Assuming you have a router (or a rare case where your high-speed modem has a firewall) then the only software firewall you need is what comes with windows.

i personally wouldnt want to run my pc without a firewall because of all the things i download/the sites i go on, and it just gives me peace of mind. although you are still at risk without one, its worth considering the above and deciding if you really need one.

Back
Top Bottom