Case airflow

Dieter

Baseband Member
Anyone know of any programs that can map out air flow, or a way to determine how the air is flowing in the computer case. I had an idea with using smoke let it in the intake and see where it goes. Just wondering if anyone had any creative ideas. Im just curious and want to expirment with airflow and what not, just busy work..

what about using dry ice, ofcourse if you can get your hands on some. but that would probably show you a good idea of the air flow...not sure if it would damage parts tho?..
just a suggestion ofcourse, i would test it on a crappy computer before i did my good ones lol.

I don't know of any software, but I wouldn't recommend using the smoke idea, that could be bad for your hardware.

I would use some little thermometers placed around inside the case, adjust your fans and see if any temps have changed. Or get one of those infrared temp guns and you can instantly see the temp anywhere inside your case.

i heard about those infrared guns...kinda kool actually...you can get instant temps absolutely anywhere....even you monitor LOL.

How much do those infrared temp guns cost? I saw some program somewhere on the internet that used contour and vector graphs of a 3d model of your computer and you got to "place" fans and it mapped everything out and showed where the heat displacements were but I can't seem the find that anywhere.

Thinking about it, that would be kind of difficult to use. That means after I mess with my fans or w.e I would have to take the side off and check the temps, granted it probably wouldnt change the temps that much in a couple seconds anyways. I dont think theyd go through a see-through side would they?

Smoke isn't going to damage your components and it is probably the best way to determine whether you have a good fan setup. Just let the smoke be drawn in by the intake fan(s) and make sure it is quickly exhausted, and it doesn't "circulate"

Back
Top Bottom