Trying to build a computer...

So a 500 watt PSU would be ok for a gaming computer? Also, what's the difference between 64bit and 32 bit vista?
Something like this would be perfect. It has two 6 pin PCI-E connectors which is enough for most graphics cards.

32 bit Vista can only address up to 2.75GB-3.5GB of memory, 64 bit will have no problem addressing all the memory.

Ok. I'm building one from scratch. I'm going to double check if I have everything I need.

Case
Video card
Wireless card
Motherboard
PSU
RAM
Hard drive
CPU
Monitor(ugh)
Vista Home premium
A sound card

What else is there for a fully functional computer? I don't want to order any parts just to find out i need another that I forgot to grab.

Thanks for the loads of help everyone. I appreciate it.

The CD drive. as teny said.
Also, Why are you getting a sound card? Most, if not all motherboards have sound built in. You could save some money there.

but if he gets a sound card, the CPU wouldnt have to work as hard when gaming since the sound card has its own processor.

The CD drive. as teny said.
Also, Why are you getting a sound card? Most, if not all motherboards have sound built in. You could save some money there.

That, I did not know. Would you recommend me not getting one or like he said, get one so the processor doesn't have to work as hard?

its called form factor
take a read
now for some examples
ill use the ATX mid tower size
case read the end of the title it says its size
mobo in specs it says ATX size
thats it
thats all you have to look for :D

fyi
yes you NEED thermal paste
if you dont your CPU will fry
i think its something like 10 sec.
that might be if you dont have a heatsink or something like that

your cpu won't fry, it shuts down before any real damage is done, but yes, if you want a running computer, you'll need some kind of thermal conductor...

if you work around music, IE make songs, remix, etc. Or you are a harcore gamer that wants to try to max out every settings in the game, then i would recommend you getting a sound card. I think theres one that cost $30, but there are modded drivers that makes it into a $60 sound card.
but if you dont do those and use it for like normal usage, going online, typing papers, watching videos, or listening to music, then you wont need a sound card.
not sure if its true, but better sound systems might need a sound card to have better sound, could be wrong.

One last question and I should be good to go.

Do all the cables and hookups come with the products? Like the IDE cables and whatnot?

Edit: I found a case that came with a 450 watt PSU, should I keep the 500 I found and find a case without a PSU or take that and save me some money?

Dont bother with a sound card,your mother board will have one built in.

Well, if you already have a psu you wont need a new one. You should keep the 500 watt and maby find a bare bone kit? They can save you a lot of money.

Back
Top Bottom