Need Help Computer Won't Load....

religion2386

In Runtime
I have a IBM desktop thats pretty old. It has XP Proffesional on it. I just reformatted it last night. Everything was working fine after the reformat. I installed my game (Age of Empires) back on it. Along with Firefox etc... I rebooted so all my changes would be saved etc....The computer loads up, but it just loads up my desktop with no icons.

What process do I need to do to find out what the problem is with my computer?

Again it JUST loads my background which is the default green meadow with the white fence picture and thats it. No icons...nothing!

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

try to run the explorer.exe process. to do this push control+alt+delete and from the taskmanager select..."new" and type in explorer.exe

So just delete the partition and reformat? Thats my solution to all my problems since I dont really have any info or files I NEED and the one's I do have I have a external as well as a flash. So when Iget a virus or my computer is swamped with spyware I just reformat...Is this wrong?

@religion
nope its not wrong. its actually probably the better thing to do. but for most of us...its too much of a hastle to format and have to re-install everything. but to answer your question, no its not wrong. go ahead and give it a go!..

So if the problem does lay within the explorer.exe how is there already a problem there?

bad XP disk?
Bad format?

So if the problem does lay within the explorer.exe how is there already a problem there?

bad XP disk?
Bad format?

it could be a result of many different things. perhaps something may have missed during the installation,..very good chance it did. i wouldn't suspect a bad format, but it could be.

try to re-install xp...and see if it persists. if it does then it could be a conflict with hardware, drivers.
really its hard to pin point the exact problem. i had your problem awhile ago, but i wish i knew what it was i did to fix it.

maybe, you could try creating a new user in safe mode and try and log into it normally and see if the problem is still there.
sorry mate, but telling you whats causing the problem is almost to impossible as it could be many many things. you can only troubleshoot it, or see if you can find something on google relating to your problem.

Yea I understand. My disk is about 2 yrs old :( so there is some wear on it, possibly I guess not ALL the info is getting to the drive or something Im not sure :(

Back
Top Bottom