RAM vs video card

Overall, the performance difference is negligible. What is really turning me toward nVidia is the drivers. I'm sick of the Radeon crapware. Why should I have to install the .NET framework just for my drivers to run properly? I find the Catalyst drivers to just be much less stable than what I've experienced with Forceware, which is 100% stability.
You're living in the old days. A few years ago, ATi promised they would release a WHQL approved driver every month without fail. I've had zero problems with my HD 4850, which is less than with my 8800GT.

Yep...plus they usually expire very quickly, and by the time you get around to sending it, it's expired. :(

another good point. stupid expiry dates, i once had one expire a week after i purchased the product, so stupid. lost $20.00 cause of it.

I don't like mail-in rebates either. I had one for a set of RAM and they wouldn't accept it because I sent in a photocopy of the code on the box, and not the box itself.

You're living in the old days. A few years ago, ATi promised they would release a WHQL approved driver every month without fail. I've had zero problems with my HD 4850, which is less than with my 8800GT.
Maybe. But just the other day I reformatted one of my other PCs that had an integrated Radeon graphics solution, and it wanted me to install the .NET framework. Huge pain. And this was with just-downloaded drivers.

Not to mention all this I hear about not being able to control the fan speeds?

Do you get much from turning those tiny fans to such high RPM's anyway? On my 8800GTS and 9600GT I've only managed to save a few degrees from doing that, and the noise wasn't worth it. I just ended up sticking different coolers on both of them.

I HAS GX2 AND LIEKZ IT.

Okay but seriously, it is a good card but if you dont need it, dont get it. Its only worth it if you need it..

I'd say the 9800GTX+ wins in more of the tests I've seen, and it wins in 3DMark. The ones where it loses, the difference is a couple FPS.

Overall, the performance difference is negligible. What is really turning me toward nVidia is the drivers. I'm sick of the Radeon crapware. Why should I have to install the .NET framework just for my drivers to run properly? I find the Catalyst drivers to just be much less stable than what I've experienced with Forceware, which is 100% stability.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention that the price difference is only $3. $170 for a Palit 4850 (what is Palit...) versus $173 for an overclocked 9800GTX+. Clearly the 9800GTX+ wins.

I've always seen benchmarks closer to the results here techreport.com

the 4850 wins most of the benchmarks that I've seen (even 3DMark), not the 9800GTX, and just the opposite of what you said, the 4850 loses some of it's advantage at the higher resolutions, where the 9800GTX makes up some ground, Assassin's Creed is the only game where the 4850 really has a huge advantage, but it's better nonetheless...

Back
Top Bottom