Routers

skip

Beta member
ok so probably a stupid question, but hey this is what these forums are for right.....

ok so simple question I have a High Speed Modem with just one ethernet cord spot, if I get a Router does the ethernet cord from the Modem just go into a specific spoit on the router and then i can run other cords from the available slots on the routers to as many computers as there are slots, or am I way off base on my thinking on how this works?

Thanks,
Ryan

that should work fine. im not sure how these modems work, but you might have to turn dhcp off on the router.

Why would he need to turn off dhcp? odds are his modem doesn't do that for an entire network.

But yeah, you are pretty much dead on. THe cable you currently have will go into either the "WAN" or "Internet" port on the router (different companies label it differently) then run cables out to the computers you want to connect wirelessly

@celegorm. i know my friends modem for example has a dhcp option, as i remember trying to fix it one day so i saw that option in the cp.

@celegorm. i know my friends modem for example has a dhcp option, as i remember trying to fix it one day so i saw that option in the cp.

Hmm I've never seen that in a modem that wasn't also a router. Learn something new every day.

Back
Top Bottom