RAM vs video card

I would go with the 4850 personally.
Why? The 9800GTX+ is faster, and they're about the same price.

(Yes, I know the 4850 is faster in some cases. Unfortunately, I do not have a huge monitor, and the 9800GTX+ beats it at 1680x1050)

The RAM sounds good guys. The 9800GX2 is incredible, but I probably wouldn't even use it to it's potential most of the time, and I'd be wasting my money.

I wouldn't call it a winner one way or the other so easily, performance between these two cards can be quite different depending on the games you play. But if you are at a lower resolution, your CPU should be more important.

vga and ram.
like mentioned above, get the ram and vga if you are going to be running vista, otherwise the option is urs if you are running on xp. xp runs perfectly fine with 2gigs of ram, like on my system i hardly even use 640mb of ram when idle, and thats running the normal background programs like msn, limewire etc.
vista as we all know is a memory hog, so get the 2 more gigs if you are going to run the vista OS.

I'd say the 9800GTX+ wins in more of the tests I've seen, and it wins in 3DMark. The ones where it loses, the difference is a couple FPS.

Overall, the performance difference is negligible. What is really turning me toward nVidia is the drivers. I'm sick of the Radeon crapware. Why should I have to install the .NET framework just for my drivers to run properly? I find the Catalyst drivers to just be much less stable than what I've experienced with Forceware, which is 100% stability.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention that the price difference is only $3. $170 for a Palit 4850 (what is Palit...) versus $173 for an overclocked 9800GTX+. Clearly the 9800GTX+ wins.

I'd say the 9800GTX+ wins in more of the tests I've seen, and it wins in 3DMark. The ones where it loses, the difference is a couple FPS.

Overall, the performance difference is negligible. What is really turning me toward nVidia is the drivers. I'm sick of the Radeon crapware. Why should I have to install the .NET framework just for my drivers to run properly? I find the Catalyst drivers to just be much less stable than what I've experienced with Forceware, which is 100% stability.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention that the price difference is only $3. $170 for a Palit 4850 (what is Palit...) versus $173 for an overclocked 9800GTX+. Clearly the 9800GTX+ wins.
actualy your wrong.... the 4850 goes for anywhere from 140 to 200, palit one is 140 and you can get a asus one for 150 with a free game and free shipping... 4850 ftw!

actualy your wrong.... the 4850 goes for anywhere from 140 to 200, palit one is 140 and you can get a asus one for 150 with a free game and free shipping... 4850 ftw!
Mail in rebates are a load of crap. It can take them months to send you your money if they even will, and half the time you forget to mail them in.

Mail in rebates are a load of crap. It can take them months to send you your money if they even will, and half the time you forget to mail them in.

yup, basically are a load of crap. i mailed in my staples rebate about 2 months ago and i still have yet to see the money. calling them does nothing, cause all they say "it is being processed". which i know is a load of BS.

and exactly, many of us either forget to mail them in, or just don't want to go through the hastle to mailing it in.
much prefer "instant savings". much more effective LOL :)

yup, basically are a load of crap. i mailed in my staples rebate about 2 months ago and i still have yet to see the money. calling them does nothing, cause all they say "it is being processed". which i know is a load of BS.

and exactly, many of us either forget to mail them in, or just don't want to go through the hastle to mailing it in.
much prefer "instant savings". much more effective LOL :)
Yep...plus they usually expire very quickly, and by the time you get around to sending it, it's expired. :(

Back
Top Bottom