BSOD/Restart when Installing XP on New Comp

schazz1

Solid State Member
Hey everyone,
So I just finished getting the components for a budget build i'm putting together for my bro. Last night I put it together, set bios to boot from cd drive, put in xpsp2 disc, and started the install process. On the first attempt, I got a BSOD when the drive was at 2% formatting (full format). I noticed that a couple of the case fans werent on either (cpu fan was fine) so I took all power connections out and redid them. Tried again, this time same thing happened at 1-2% except instead of BSOD I got a restart. Tried a third time with same result and I decided to call it a night since it was late.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I have a couple of ideas but I'm not all that technically saavy so I would like to get some expert help :)

Here are the components:
MoBo: BIOSTAR MCP6P-M2 Micro ATX
CPU: AMD Athlon X2 BE-2400 Brisbane 2.3GHz (plan to OC a bit)
Cooler: Arctic Freezer 64 Pro
Ram: Crucial DDR2 2x2GB PC6400 800MHz
HDD: 160GB WD1600AAJS
Video Card: 512MB EVGA 8600GTS PCI-E
PSU: Antec earthwatts EA380
Case: Antec 300
Trying to install Windows XP SP2

Thanks for any advice you can give!
Will

Try using only 1 memory module at first. Also, before you start the process, go into your bios and monitor your temps for a few minutes, just to make sure your computer isn't overheating.

okay I'm going to try it out using 1 ram module. I'll let you know what happens.

I should havementioned this before but I know that its not overheating, the cpu was hovering at around 30c...

I tried removing a stick of ram and installing XP and it worked. At that point I figured that there would be a problem with either the stick of ram I removed or the ram slot that was now empty on the MB. After finishing the install, I ran memtest86+ for a few hours on the stick that I had installed XP with (Got 7 or 8 cycles). No problems. I then removed the "good" stick of ram, ran memtest on the other stick of ram in the "good" slot, and got the same result after the same amount of time. Today I booted up the comp with both sticks of ram installed and let it sit for about an hour and when I came back I had a "recovered from serious error" message. The error report listed: WER2290.dir00\mini091608-01.dmp and WER2290.dir00\sysdata.xml.

I ran memtest again with both sticks of ram in and so far everything is clean (almost completed 7 cycles). Would memtest pick up on a problem with the MB slot if there was one? I know it tests RAM but it has to test it through that slot so I'm wondering if some sort of error would show up if the slot was faulty.

I am going to install drivers for the video card and other components next. Does anyone have any idea of what could be causing the problems (BSOD and reboots during first install then error listed above)?

Back
Top Bottom