Three possibly memory related computer problems

ok, thanks. before i try to install the catalyst, do i have to uninstall my video card and reinstall it after?

All you do is use the uninstaller and that will see the system restart as part of the process. Once you are back at the desktop you simply double click on the update to see the installer come up again.

You don't have to pull the card out and physically reinstall it back into the slot. If it was seated down fully when first put in you wouldn't have to worry about reseating it. This is strictly software/driver related and will hopefully correct the problems.

Note that you will want to see the Net Framework 1.1 and 2.0 updates go on before running the installer once the current catalyst/drivers are uninstalled. That will prevent any hangs when reinstalling one of the updates since 2.0 is required while 1.1 has to go on first.

Once you have a fresh start video wise and continue to see problems the next step would be looking at the audio drivers. Are you running onboard or an expansion card?

All you do is use the uninstaller and that will see the system restart as part of the process. Once you are back at the desktop you simply double click on the update to see the installer come up again.

You don't have to pull the card out and physically reinstall it back into the slot. If it was seated down fully when first put in you wouldn't have to worry about reseating it. This is strictly software/driver related and will hopefully correct the problems.

Note that you will want to see the Net Framework 1.1 and 2.0 updates go on before running the installer once the current catalyst/drivers are uninstalled. That will prevent any hangs when reinstalling one of the updates since 2.0 is required while 1.1 has to go on first.

Once you have a fresh start video wise and continue to see problems the next step would be looking at the audio drivers. Are you running onboard or an expansion card?

sorry i am having so much trouble getting started with your advice, but i keep getting tripped up on stuff. i just used driver sweeper to uninstall the video card and was about to get the Cat. 5.11, but you said

"Note that you will want to see the Net Framework 1.1 and 2.0 updates go on before running the installer once the current catalyst/drivers are uninstalled"
i don't think i have done anything with net frameworks. is this something else i have to install before the catalyst? where should i get it from?

thanks for all your help so far.

Jk: i like your idea of memtest. i will run that once i get the video card set back up

That was late but had to be added here in case you should end up seeing the MOM implementation error. That occurs when an older ATI update sees a bad install.

Sometimes a quick remove and reinstall after is all that is needed. But for a stubborn install that's a corrective measure. If you should see the NetFramework 2.0 required message come up for some reason simply go to the XP all downloads page at MS to first see the 1.1 go on followed by the 2.0 version for the next attempt at seeing the catalyst go on.

It's more of an annoyance then anything else but works. You simply scroll through the first few pages seen at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...Criteria=popularity&sortOrder=ascending&nr=20 for the 1.1 and 2.0 downloads. The 3.0 and latest 3.5 are listed first however.

I installed the net framework 1.1 and 2 and then i installed the catalyst 5.11
the video card is back working, but all three problems still remain

i ran memtest and got to 2700% over the course of 11 hours with 0 problems found.

any ideas on what could be happening?

the next step would be looking at the audio drivers. Are you running onboard or an expansion card?
i am not sure what it has for an audio driver.

Some system information would be a help here. For a prebuild the support site will see updates as well as a troubleshooter faq for known problems to look over. Since this seems to another type of driver other then video sound for onboard or a card installed would be an item to consider.

the computer was originally a dell dimension 4500, but it has been upgraded a lot since then.
it has two 512 sticks of RAM
it has an ATI 9550 Radeon video card
i just installed a 350 watt power supply and have the voltage on 115.

is there a certain bit of information you are looking for?
i just checked through device manager and i noticed two peculiar things.

one is that that i have two display adapters, RADEON 9550 and RADEON 9550 Secondary.

the other is that under Network adapters, "network Controller" it says it is not configured correctly

I would go to system/hardware/device manager and remove the display adapters. Reboot....
Let Windows find the hardware after reboot an re-install the video.

Then I would do the same for the Network adapter.

The Radeon secondary is a normal item as part of the Catalyst C.Cen. and will be seen on any ATI driven card with that installed as well as the essential drivers. You'll find that on the latest AMD/ATI cards as well.

The main page for that model as far as updates from Dell are seen at http://support.dell.com/support/dow...D=DIM_PNT_P4_4500&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

You first have to know if you are using onboard or a Creative model sound card when going for a sound update which would be the next step since you already removed all video drivers and installed the 5.11. Take the time to look over the other updates as well like those for the chipset if you had reinstalled Windows at some point but forgot drivers for the board?

Without the SMBus, memory controllers, ide, and other drivers on installation problems for 3rd party apps are common. If the drivers are now simply missing or corrupted that would also be a thought there.

i went to the dell website and installed a driver for my chipset. no difference in the computer problems but i am looking for more now

when i look under the Sound, video and game controllers section of my device manager it lists
Legacy Audio Drivers
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

i would imagine i have an onboard sound card.

*edited.
i went to download a new patch from world of warcraft and it pointed out to me that i needed to get a new netgear FA311 driver, so i found this
http://www.soft32.com/download_171271.html
does that look about right?

also is the BIOS driver
http://support.dell.com/support/dow...IM_PNT_P4_4500&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=
a good idea?

i wouldn't ask so many questions but i'm afraid i'm gonna mess this thing up even worse

Back
Top Bottom