router question

culexor

Daemon Poster
ive had my linksys wrt54g router for almost 3 years now. for the last year or so it has been slowing my connection down quite a bit. especially in games. in steam i only load about 40 servers on the master server list and my ping averages about 60. when im plugged directly into my modem i load about 12000 servers and my ping is usually 15. right now im wired to my router so its not the wireless thats slowing it down. i plan to move my pc back upstairs when i get my new monitor and i would like to try to resolve this problem. i plan on getting a new router within the next couple of months but i would like to solve this problem in the meantime.

You definitely have the ports opened for CS, right? Is it a possibility that game settings might have changed and there are new ports to open?

Other possibilities:

- Any new devices/computers in your house that use a wireless connection? If so, those could be hogging up bandwidth.

- Maybe a neighbor is also using your wireless connection

- Has your ISP changed? Maybe they've changed your internet service?

Once in a while, its useful to reset the router and modem.

why would the ports do that if it works for 3 years?

it could be down to something magnetic near your router/laptop pulling the connection in on magnetic.

try moving around

well my router was sitting on my old pc and that didnt help. ive reset the router and modem dozens of times. i usually do that once or twice a week. ive had the same isp ever since i had the router (before that i had dialup). i think it may have something to do with a packet overflow type thing where the router just cant handle the amount of data any more or something.

edit: my wireless is secured and even when i disable wireless completely it does nothing

Back
Top Bottom