Car to house power?

Paradox are you trying to get him injured?

Check a two way radio shop (ham shack) for a power supply.

This is not a hard thing to do, what ever your amp requires for power use then cut the power to the certain level, once thats done, make sure your watt is not going over the full wattage use and make sure you don't plug in random cheap speakers with higher wattage speakers, it'll just turn it off.

If you understand about power and learn it you will get really far, I remember 4 years ago I use to do all this crazy sh!t, now I have to wait for my ultimate sound kit

your looking for something similar to this, but much larger.
http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/heavy-duty-voltage-converter.html
Something like that would be the safest way because it's what it is designed to do. You would probably be fine with something that pushes 25-30amps but it gets very expensive.
I have seen people power them with computer psus, but having a large amp you would not want to "go to newegg and buy a cheap one". The cheapy psus won't put out enough and you'll likely fry it after a few minutes or mess up your amp.

Antdemo - what are you talking about wattage on the speakers? the wattage being to high will not turn off the amp, having a resistance to low for the amp to handle will cause it to overheat and go into protection (if available, otherwise it will just toast).

What does the amp need?? AC or DC?

If its just AC, then a simple transformer will lower the voltage and as a bonus lowering the voltage will increase how many Amps are available

If its DC, then your best bet is a computer power supply, that can supply the required number of Amps on a single rail (NOT the overall total it can give out!).

well im trying power a 400watt car amp for this subwoofer i have sitting in my closet gettin no use. for my home stereo system. My receiver has a special subwoofer output and its an RCA connector so i need the amp for it to work

plug it into your circuit box dont need a plug, just use a wires and make sure you connect your positive wire to the negative and your set

that would make it explode. in your wall is AC, the thing needs DC.

A PSU will output DC, just make sure it is rated for 35 amps on the 12 V rails, and you will be good.

the problem is that only the best PSUs will work then.

ugh that wasn't the answer i was hoping for :( there so damn expensive and this one is sitting in my closet

In a AC powered amplifier for home use (or clubs, concerts, whatever) a very large part of the cost of the amp is the AC to DC transformer. Car amps are powered off of DC and don't have this, hence why they are often cheaper.

Your better off looking for a proper amp thats used, seen some great deals on classified sites and ebay.

your looking for something similar to this, but much larger.
http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/heavy-duty-voltage-converter.html
Something like that would be the safest way because it's what it is designed to do. You would probably be fine with something that pushes 25-30amps but it gets very expensive.
I have seen people power them with computer psus, but having a large amp you would not want to "go to newegg and buy a cheap one". The cheapy psus won't put out enough and you'll likely fry it after a few minutes or mess up your amp.

Antdemo - what are you talking about wattage on the speakers? the wattage being to high will not turn off the amp, having a resistance to low for the amp to handle will cause it to overheat and go into protection (if available, otherwise it will just toast).

I didn't even say the watt being to hight would turn it off, I said ''make sure you don't plug in random cheap speakers with higher wattage speakers, it'll just turn it off.'' if this is false then tell me how the hell did my friends do it the other day then? we put it to experiment ffs

it's not the watts that do it. It's the resistance of the speakers likely putting the amp in circuit protection. If you don't have enough wattage going to the speaker to drive it you will just here very little from the speaker or nothing at all because there isn't enough power to drive it. From what you said the amp is turning off with random cheap speakers because of the wattage. If that is not what you mean you need to explain it better because it isn't making sense.

Back
Top Bottom