Any ideas ?

sback

Baseband Member
Greetings to you all i have a real head scratcher and i am wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions as i am stummped.

A friends latop its a Dell ! 3 years old without any clean up he says his wife has crammed it full of rubbish (yeah wright lol) and it was running slow ! (an understatement in my book as i do alot of clean up and tweaking for friends computers)

So i say no problem ill clean it up so i used every tweak in the book including this fine bit of work which has helped me so much thank you jac006 !:
http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=29085

So every trick in the book (that i know off and ive learnt a few more over the last week or two ) cleaned it up with uniblue registrey mechanic, Speed my Pc3 , run spybot search and destroy , spyware blaster, Lavasofts Ad adware, Pest patrol run its anti virus ( Macafee ) removed old programs not used run microsoft Disk clean up and defragged the hard drive and deleated a tone of stuff that they dont need anymore.

Yep its faster but its usb ports are monumentally slow to read any hard ware to the point of after an hour sometimes it picks it up, sometimes it doesnt and if it does it freezes up same with the cd/dvd drive ! ive tried all sorts of software nero , roxio and ashampoo but none will burn ! I then tried upgrading all the drivers (correct ones from Dell) without any improvement . Infact the only way i could back up the monumental pictures files was to log the machine onto my wirless network transfer the valuable stuff to my desktop then burn it to disk.

Device manager shows no hard ware conflicts or problems ! Fair enough the machine only has 512 of ram but that should be enough for xp home and a machine that is not doing anything complicated. the hard drive is only 60 gig and has 68% free

Any ideas ?

Regards sback.

Uniblue may have wanged the registrey. Run sfc /scannow first and if no joy, then do a repair install.
When you removed the unused programs you did take them out from add/remove programs?

Hello setishock thanks for your response so quickly . Yep i removed all software not needed with ad and remove sfc/scannow ? not heard of that one before is it software ? the repair install yep ive thought about that thats the last option i guess but he has no repair disks and be honest this is the first dell laptop ive worked on so i dont know if it has a hidden partition with everything in it or not and if it does im not sure how to activate it ?

sfc.exe yep i see it thanks never new about that one as they say "you learn something new every day"

Nope that didnt fix the problem Anyone HELP ! please

Back
Top Bottom