Laptop wireless keeps disconecting...

k0409964

In Runtime
For some reasons my laptop keeps disconnecting from the wireless router.

It is a Netgear Wireless-G modem router, DG834g,
And my laptop is in the sig below, and Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection is how the laptop connects wirelessly.

the wireless network is on channel 11, should i try changing this as there are quite a few other wireless networks in the area, and i thought it might be interfering.

The security used is WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)
should i just use WEP instead and what is the difference.

It never has a problem reconnecting to our network when i go to available wireless connections but some times the access key is not there and you have to cancel and connect again and then the key appears.

So in summary it just disconects and connects at random!!!

Thanks for the help.

have you tried using a different wireless connection?

try updating the drivers, by un-installing the current drivers, and install the new ones.

could possibly be a driver problem.

okay cheers, i will update the drivers and let you know how it goes,

I have used other wireless connections and it has been fine, then at my dads house (the wireless network in question is at my mums) it started doing the same thing, but would not reconnect at all until i restarted his router.

well let me know how it goes. if that fails to solve the problem, then it could be your router.

I had this same problem on my Toshiba laptop. Although it had vista. The laptop was maybe 5 inches from router, yet would occasionally disconnect. further investigation resulted me to conclude that either 1. It was a software issue (Vista being.... vista) 2. Drivers 3. Cluttering (Multiple routers in close or within their access point range.) Im not sure if thats possible, running with different channels but who knows.

still hav'nt reinstalled drivers yet because i have not had the chance, but i changed from controlling the wireless using the default windows program, to using the intel PROSet/wireless program, and that seems to have fixed the problem, i think.

However i have switched broadband providers from Tiscalli, too Virgin Media and the internet seems to be a lot slower!! very odd, i will however try reinstalling the drivers at the weekend, i'll let you know how that goes.

Back
Top Bottom