My mATX/LAN Box build

an0nym0us1

In Runtime
So, after hearing a friend wet his pants about building a SFF (small form factor) mATX computer build, I've decided to embark on my own mATX adventure. It will be an mATX gaming computer that WILL be overclocked. My goal is to take all of the power of a full sized overclocked fast dual core and throw all of it into a cube case. I have all the parts I need except for my Lian-Li V350B case, which should be here tomorrow. Here's a start of what's to come.

I didn't expect the Zalman heatsink I chose to be so big... I hope it's not too tall to clear the PSU and the motherboard tray/rear panel.
matx1.jpg

matx2.jpg

matx3.jpg

Donor motherboard from my old file server, Gigabyte G33M-DS2R motherboard.
matx4.jpg

matx5.jpg

The E8400 CPU that i will be using, hopefully I can run 450x9 on this sucker 24/7 in the mATX box. That's my ultimate goal
matx6.jpg

G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ RAM DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 Micron D9GMH ICs
matx7.jpg

2x74gb Western Digital Raptors,10,000rpm 16mb cache in RAID 0
matx8.jpg

XFX GeForce 8800GS Alpha Dog Overclocked Edition 384mb
matx9.jpg

check out the solid copper heatsink on this thing.
matx10.jpg

SuperTalent Card Reader
matx11.jpg

OCZ Powerstream 520w PSU, very reliable and will support everything I need until a new PSU comes in.
matx12.jpg

matx13.jpg

The case it will all be going in.
11-112-151-14.jpg

All in all this should be one SICKKK little mATX box, I'll keep you guys updated.

here's the heatsink mounted on the board... i've got to say, zalman has a GREAT mount other than the fact that you have to remove the board to remove the back/front plates for the heatsink. if this heatsink clears the case/psu, i doubt i will ever take it apart.

look how much further the board extends!
matx14.jpg

north bridge and ram clearance... i was concerned before the test fit.
matx15.jpg

matx16.jpg

Hey Cabbs. $5.00 says the heat sink doesn't let the board fit the case.
if it doesn't, then i'll go down to the 92mm version of the Zalman cooler. i've heard that the scythe mini ninja, thermalright xp-90 and other very good coolers will work. i will not let something so trivial as a heatsink keep me from attaining my goal.

But in order us to settle our bet you have to show either way.

At any rate could you post a link to the case, please?

Back
Top Bottom