Warez site's - are they illegal?

sherwood

In Runtime
This is one thing I have always wondered are warez site's illegal? I have always thought they are not as they do not normally store files on there servers but I have always never fully believed it so I was wondering is it 100% legal or illegal?

It's definitely a grey area, I don't think the warez site itself is liable for any prosecution because there just another form of p2p really. But I think there use may be illegal if its for the downloading of Music, software, videos etc without paying from them, although that may vary on your national legislation.

I'm now arguing with myself in my head, this thread has encouraged casual schizophrenia. Darn.

I know what you mean. I have been trying to find this out for a while now! And can't seem to find one. As I do not see how the site can be illegal as they just index the links and not actually have files on there servers. Well that depends on what warez sites you go on.

Does anyone know if there is an actual real law saying that they are not allowed or are??

Depends on the country. Some countrys, it's legal to: Link to a page which has a link to a file (which is on a different server)

Some countrys you can link directly to a file, which is on a different server

SOME (not many...) you can link to a file on your own server

And there are some that down allow any kind of warez at all...

I think :D

The site itself is perfectly legal, p2p is perfectly legal, it's the material that is illegal. Distributing copyrighted material is the part that is illegal. That's what most people use p2p for, downloading and sharing material that is copyrighted like music and movies so thats why people think that p2p is illegal. It's not, it's the material that makes it illegal.

I don't think its illegal in canada but in the states i think it is can someone verify this though

The site itself is perfectly legal, p2p is perfectly legal, it's the material that is illegal. Distributing copyrighted material is the part that is illegal. That's what most people use p2p for, downloading and sharing material that is copyrighted like music and movies so thats why people think that p2p is illegal. It's not, it's the material that makes it illegal.
So could the owner of the site get prosecuted for the content on the site or would they not be able to do anything?

I don't think its illegal in canada but in the states i think it is can someone verify this though

And yes I think I have heard that the US do not allow warez sites. But I have heard that people who live in the US owns servers in a different country so they can still run the site.

Hmm... I dont think it is legal in canada. I have some shared space on a canadian server, and somone hosted a warez site on it - It got removed... Allthough it might not have been removed because of the warez...

Or it could of just been that hosting service did not want those kinds of sites hosted on their servers. As I have also heard that it is hard to find a hosting company who will be willing to host the warez sites.

Back
Top Bottom