Homepage for CF

sounds good. if people cba to access the forums from the homepage then a new domain or setting the portal/homepage as a different name, such as www.computerforums.org/portal.php could work

but then it stops being a front page and starts being a web page behind a forum.

a single web page behind a forum isn't great.

an entire website, filled with news/reviews/tutorials would be absolutely awesome,
and probably bring quite a lot more traffic here.

on the other hand, whilst the forum receives a lot of traffic there isn't really a way to generate new at a fast enough rate.

and if you want to rely on user content, then you'll likely have to enable comments, and basically make the site another forum.
and if you don't open comments for people to post corrections then you have to consider how many requests to change information there could be.

honestly I think this is a great idea.
a strong website that was a useful resource behind this forum would be a good asset to the site.

but a stale or stagnant site with poor quality content, it's not really worth the effort.

and I agree that I like coming straight to the forums rather than a homepage then having to click through.

but if the homepage was a part of a really good site, then I'd change my mind and probably think it was better to have a landing page rather than coming straight to the forum screen.

i see your point, but easy access to the forums is great. then again adding /forums to the domain wouldnt bother me. its just other people that want to go straight to the forum.

is it possible to embedded the forum in a front page? so that there is stuff above, to the side, and bottom of the forum homepage, but the other pages are not full?

yea we could probably make some sort of RSS feed or something similar that would give a quick glance to updated posts, forums etc. but wouldn't detract too much space from the home page.

my main thought of the whole homepage thing was basically what root hit on. if we get tech news, reviews from members (somebody always has some new gadget or game) events for CF, things like that all on a professional page i think it would greatly increase traffic as well as advertising space for david.

Back
Top Bottom