NTFS to FAT32

glen1954

Beta member
I have a HDD that has NTFS as it's file system. I want to convert it to FAT32. It's 80g and I would like to start using it as a slave drive. Can anyone help me? Thanx

format,switch the jumpers on the back set to slave and pop in master drive and when you put anything on it, go to computer management in start,options,computer managment/administrative tools, disk management and set the file system to FAT32 i believe this will work for you.

took me ages to figure this out. the max size for fat32 when formatting using the windows utility is 32gb (i think).
i had to use an external program. i used this

next time post in the right section please :)

format,switch the jumpers on the back set to slave and pop in master drive and when you put anything on it, go to computer management in start,options,computer managment/administrative tools, disk management and set the file system to FAT32 i believe this will work for you.

That's a problem. You see, Vista will ONLY format it to NTFS. I can insert the HDD on a copmuter with Xp...but i don't think it will be recognized when I use it in my computer that has Vista....was a problem before. It's an ATA not a SATA. I would be using the IDE ribbon cable normally for an added CD rom.It worked with another HDD I had but the HDD died.bad sectors so I trashed it.

took me ages to figure this out. the max size for fat32 when formatting using the windows utility is 32gb (i think).
i had to use an external program. i used this

next time post in the right section please :)

Ok.....I already know that Vista will only format an HDD to NTFS. But I think you're right with the wipe drive suggestion..............I'll give it a shot..Thanks again

wow yeah forgot to ask if it was vista or xp sorry, im not sure on thsi one man.

If vista will only format it to NTFS you're SOL. There is no way to just backward-convert to FAT32 without losing the windows install once it is in NTFS. You can go from FAT32 to NTFS, but not the otherway around.

Why do you need it in FAT32 anyways?

he wants to use it as a slave. he didnt say anything about installing an os .. did he?
my program has worked for me. the only reason i did it was because my router only supports fat32 devices plugged into it over the network.

That was the question I was about to ask. I really can't think of any reason nowadays that a person would need FAT32. Will Vista even run on FAT32??

Ok..The reason I would like to have FAT32 is because if I develop problems I can always reformat. Can't if it's NTFS. Vista also has to have a partition for the recovery files. I only want to use this HDD as a storeroom for the things I don't really need to have on the master drive. They take up to much room and even at 140G I'm already down to 80G.

Back
Top Bottom