Laptop heat question.

Austinn1

Daemon Poster
I recently added 1 gb of ram to my laptop. And im wondering if thats why it gets so hot? I dont think it is. When i had it in, and I ran real temp, it hit 68 degrees celcius. then i took it out, and it was still runing at about 63 celcius.

The fans are always running. Real temp only tests the temps of the proccesor right? If so, that means the ram wouldnt be affecting it.
It runs about 65 celcius. (Thats 149 degrees farhenheit) with MSN and WMP. then it runs at about 60 celcius with Just the stuff that sarts up.
My fans run at full speed all the time now. i can hear quite well, which it didnt use to.

My mother has the exact same laptop as mine. And I put 1gb of ram in hers to, and hers inst acting weird. And hers doesnt get as hot as mine, ill run real temp on it soon, Maybe I can compare.

I dont think theirs anything I can do about this is their? I really dont wanna take it apart and have a look inside, for fear or it ruining it more. Im pretty sure my laptop is toast. Or its going to be.

EDIT ---- I found this on Cnet
Processor Intel Pentium Dual Core T2060 / 1.6 GHz Multi-Core processor technology Dual-Core
Min Operating Temperature 41F
Max Operating Temperature 95 F
Mine is running about 45 degrees more than that. (thats without the extra ram)

This might not help you, i think in my opinion it should be ok. Laptops are designed to withstand higher temperatures due to their compact design. Most the time, if a laptop gets too hot you will know right away because you can actually feel it on the keyboard and base, and will eventually shut itself down before it starts to take damage from the heat. If your worried about it, just but a laptop cooler that has fans on it, that should pull out the heat coming from your processor and ram. Not sure about the min and max temperature for this notebook, company says 41 to 95 F, which doesn't make sense unless they meant Celsius, my experience with processors, at least dual cores their thresholds are from 60C to 70C range before they begin to fail, but who knows.
Hope i was of some assistance for you

They most likely meant Celsius. I've never heard of a laptop running that cool. I can't think of why the RAM would be causing this. I don't know whether a bottleneck could make it work hard to match the speeds. There are many factors that we need to take into account:

-Room temperature
-What programs you're running

There's also the fact that the temperature will not always be the same every time you boot up. Don't worry about it, I think it should be fine.

Make sure nothing is covering the intake and exhaust vents for the CPU fan and heatsink. Dusting it through the vents with a can of compressed air isn't a bad idea either.

What CPU does your laptop have? They don't have much space for cooling, so they can get warm.

Back
Top Bottom