Is my computer damaged?

DUDE MAN

In Runtime
Hi,

My computer's been down for a few days now. I don't know why or how it happened. Every time I turn on the computer it always black out after the pc device list screen. The computer is still running but the screen is just black/blank. One time I saw something on the screen that says a file is damaged but I don't know which file is that. Now I don't even see that screen anymore.

How should I trouble shoot this? I don't want to format the computer now because I have too much unsaved files on the internal drive. Reformatting is going to be the last option I want to take.

Please help. I need to use the computer to finish some work I've been working on for while now.

Thanks in advance. I would greatly appreciate the help.

are you able to see the splash screen? (post menu where it has commands like Del to go to bios?
one thing you can do to back up your files is to get another HDD, and install an OS on it, then attach your current one as a slave and transfer files, then reformat the current HDD, and transfer the file back.

are you able to see the splash screen? (post menu where it has commands like Del to go to bios?
one thing you can do to back up your files is to get another HDD, and install an OS on it, then attach your current one as a slave and transfer files, then reformat the current HDD, and transfer the file back.

or if the drive is big enough, reinstall the OS and don't format, choose "keep current file system" or whatever the option says, it won't delete any files and will just install a new operating system, this works in XP and Vista...

yeah theres that too, but everytime i do it, they wont let me delete the old "Windows" folder (previous program files and windows install)
and that kinds of bugs me, and takes up space too.

I leave the blank black screen on for about ten minutes and then this came:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
System32\DriverNtfs.Sys

You can attempt to repair this file starting Windows Setup using the original setup CD-ROM

Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair"

So, I inserted the original Boot CD in and tried to do a repair but I got stuck with the commands. I don't know how to get through it.

I'm going to try what some of you suggested.

Can you boot to safe mode? It could be the video driver that is corrupt.

I can't even get in safe mode. How many ways are there to get into safe mode if there's any others? What will happen if it the video drive that is corrupted?

What's a splash screen? I got to a screen where there's lots of commands but I didn't know how to work those commands.

repair install mate, just follow the prompts, windows is having an issue with the file system by the looks.

don't go into the recovery console just do a repair install

it isn't to do with the video driver so don't worry about that.

Ok, so now I got into safe mode, but it gets stuck and frozen at a screen with something like this that fills the entire screen:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition1(0)\WINDOWS\system32
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition1(0)\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS

Some are a little different at the end but I don't want to type all that stuff up, you get what I mean. I just can't get pass this part.

Any more help, anyone?:confused:

ummmmm, why safe mode?

You should be doing a repair install.

You can't get past there because Windows is having a problem with the file system (System32\DriverNtfs.Sys)

NTFS = New Technology File System

repair install mate, just follow the prompts, windows is having an issue with the file system by the looks.

don't go into the recovery console just do a repair install

it isn't to do with the video driver so don't worry about that.

I don't know what happened to the post I did earlier, it's kind of out of order.:D

How do you do a repair install? Where are the prompts?:)

Back
Top Bottom