file server

LukaszR1

Fully Optimized
ok i totally don't have a clue on how to set up a server and how to build one. could someone outline exactly what i'd need. And how to build one...or where i could buy one for a good price. not looking for something massive...this would be a file server for the house :).

thanks everyone!

i simply got a crappy old amd athlon mobo, and an IDE Pci controller and went to town. got a couple 160's and a 300 ran those through the controller and called it good. for an OS i simply used XP Home and setup the harddrives for sharing and logmein for remote access (so in theory all the computer needs is a power cable and ethernet cable making it more portable) pretty simple setup. once you get a pc setup LMK and ill help out with the rest.

ok well i have a pc up and running....an IBM which stays running 24/7...got a 40gig which OS is on...a 160...and a 500. now what?

its running xp pro...but what should i be running it on?

thats what i need help...i want step by step :p

its running xp pro...but what should i be running it on?

thats what i need help...i want step by step :p

I would do it the open source way, myself....

http://www.freenas.org/

FOR THE WIN!

FTP, WebDAV, Samba (Windows Shares)
Are easy to set up. I cant write much more now, im going to bed. If you need any help, PM me, or reply here...

That is, if you're SAIN and decide to choose FreeNAS :)

lukaszr,

Here's a link for enabling your XP Pro installation as a file server. It's not a step-by-step with screenshots, but does discuss what needs to be enabled and why: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/

Part of the process in creating a home server is deciding (or explaining to us) what exactly you want to do with this server. Are you wanting to share media such as music and movies with this File Server or just basic word/excel type files? Do you want your server to push applications out to your desktop/laptops? Have you given thought to having your server be your anti-virus manager? Some of these functions/options you may or may not be able to do with Windows XP Pro. One thing you have going for you is that you'll be able to remote into your XP Pro Server via Remote Desktop, which you wouldn't be able to do with Home Edition without a 3rd party app like LogMeIn.

Reason I put that out there is because if you're solely working in a Windows Environment (meaning you don't have much experience with Linux ... if at all) then you may think about purchasing Windows Home Server with some plug-in applications that tailor to your specific needs.

There may be some detractors of this option, but in all fairness, if it's a home server you're wanting that has some cool functions ... Windows Home Server is a pretty good option for your situation. Granted, WHS costs something like $150, but any current OS from Microsoft starts around there now-a-days. Just some food for thought.

Hmm... FreeNAS Isnt hard to set up, though. Once you've downloaded and installed the 50MB disk image - Everything is done via a web user interface!

Back
Top Bottom