what processes to keep running?

Fanatic4Christ

Daemon Poster
well i have a load of process here can you guys take a look and tell me what to end please....

taskmanager.jpg

if thats to small link is here
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g281/getignited114/taskmanager.jpg

My lord you have quite a few on there. I don't think there are many people out there who can look at that list and tell you what you don't need because different programs use different processes so you really can't know them all.

The best option for you may to be look at programs that start up when your computer does and tell them to not to. I swear every programmer thinks their project is more important then everyone elses so they all try to start when windows loads.

Look in places like Start menu> all programs> start up and delete shortcuts in there, anything in there starts up when windows loads. Then look at programs like itunes, winamp, printer software, adobe items, and basically anything down by your clock and tell them to not start up if your not going to use them. Messenging services like Yahoo and Windows messenger, and AIM all like to hang out down there. All of which can be told to shut up and only load when you want them.

So basically the more programs open, the more processes will show up. So close programs and you should be good to go; or at least better off then where you are now.

If you post a screenshot of the following:

Go to start >> Run >> type MSCONFIG in the box, and press OK >> Startup Tab

We will be able to determin what runs at startup, and what isnt nessicary..

Not everything running at statup is necessary. A not completely accurate but good rule is to never end a "SYSTEM" process.

Ones that I know you need:
explorer.exe
svchost.exe
csrss.exe
services.exe
spoolsv.exe (unless you don't have a printer)
lsass.exe
alg.exe
smss.exe

Download this app: http://www.anappaday.com/downloads/2006/09/day-16-quickkill.html

It kills all unecessary processes. It's used to clear your memory for gaming but I use it for everyday use too.

Back
Top Bottom