Need help overclocking amd athlon 64 x2 4000+ processor

FATAL FLAW

Baseband Member
Well this processor now is starting to get kind of slow and I need to overclock it but I dont know how. Can someone please help me. I have an amd athlon 64 x2 4000+ processor and an k9n-sli-v2 MSI motherboard.

Thank you

unless you have very good cooling, you're not going to achieve very good results. the highest i can get my 4000 is 2.3.

Being that they are multiplier locked, the only way to do it is to push up the FSB some. You'll probably need to bump up the voltage a bit to help stabilize it.

The settings you'll want to play with are in the Frequency/Voltage Control section of the BIOS. The other neat thing about the MSI boards is the D.O.T feature. It will automatically overclock the CPU as needed by the load being put on it. That setting is also located in the section I mentioned. Have a look at page 3-20 in your manual for the information you'll need.

Alright ill try that. I have pretty good cooling I have an antec 900 with all fans on high. I also have a thermaltake aftermarket cpu cooler.

I have my voltage up just a hair and I could crank the speed. I also raised my ram voltage a little as well. It's running really stable and cool on the stock cooler.

I took the processor up by 5 each time
voltage for the processor went up by .0375 V
ram went up by .05 V from the specs I got from the manufacturer.

You need to read around- read guides, find out how far you can push your CPU, find out the FSB wall of your motherboard, and understand the concepts. Overclocking is learned by trial and error, and you have some idea about what you're doing, you wont damage any of your components.

What I did was:

Increase the FSB in 10mhz steps, and if it wasn't stable after running P95, I upped the voltage. I didn't touch my RAM once, because the manufacturer rated it at a certian voltage @ DDR2 1066, and my FSB wouldn't allow me to get any speed faster than DDR2 800...so..wasn't a problem. You want a FSB:RAM ratio of 1:1.

AMD Athlon 64 processors don't have an FSB.

As others have said, your model has a locked multiplier, you'll need to overclock by increasing the HT bus speed (200 by default) Increase it in small jumps of around 5MHz and increase the Vcore when you lose instability, making sure your temps are still in check.
Check that your RAM stays within it's specced speeds as well, or it will cause instability.

AMD Athlon 64 processors don't have an FSB.

As others have said, your model has a locked multiplier, you'll need to overclock by increasing the HT bus speed (200 by default) Increase it in small jumps of around 5MHz and increase the Vcore when you lose instability, making sure your temps are still in check.
Check that your RAM stays within it's specced speeds as well, or it will cause instability.

Isn't the HT bus just like the FSB though?

Isn't the HT bus just like the FSB though?

yes, but that is not what you raise. when HT bus was mentioned 2 posts above (i think) by worshipme what he meant to say was to raise the bus speed, aka the cpu frequency. I don't think you can change the HT bus, but correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't been in BIOS in well over a year on this comp.

edit- HT bus has a multiplier and that is multiplied by the cpu frequency to get HT bus speed, but I think it comes maxed out like the other multiplier.

just looked at the corsair build reports, and the gaming comp they have with the 4200+ and mine is running faster on stock cooling, so I think you could really push it if you wanted.

i just upped the frequency of it from 200 on up until it would just not boot right or something, i overclocked mine from 2.0 to 2.5 on a crappy cpu fan

Back
Top Bottom