Accidently wiped XP from hard drive - please help

After nearlly chucking the laptop in a micorwave and asking if it had any last requests it said:
'dont, please just try again with install disc'
So I quickly pulled out an old XP install disc and slipped it into the laptop. The laptop put a little smile on its face and happily installed XP. My friendship with the laptop has now been revitlaised. Oil has been chucked on the flames - as opposed to chucking water on the flames.

After several attempts the o/s was installed. I am now wondering if there is a hard drive issue and was wondering what checks i could carry out? Anyone have any ideas?

ANyhow, the laptop seems to now be refusing the install of SP2. Some kind off file corruption. Have tried this several times but to no such luck. The SP2 issue is quiete annoying because I think that needs to be installed in order to sort out drivers.

That is another story too. The drivers which I have downloaded from the manufacturers webiste for my make and model seem to be playing havoc with computer. maybe this is down to the SP2 issue so I think I need to address this matter first. Any suggestions?

also the stand by button is mising on the shut down screen (which also means the hibernate button) missing too

I have attempted install of SP2 several times now from a seperate SP2 disc. Keeps stating about file corruption.

What does everyone think about me buying the same laptop again on ebay second hand and then doing a recovery disk from that laptop and backing up the drivers using Drivemax software download from Cnet (it worked for another computer I have).

I could then install the recovery disk to my faulty computer and then install the drivers with drivemax. Or should I just throw in the towel and take it to a computer shop and see what they can do with fixing it

You shouldnt have to buy a whole new laptop! You can download an ISO of XP - As long as it's not cracked or modified... then you should be OK. Even though it should be legal-ish, im not going to give a download link, just incase.

You shouldnt have to buy a whole new laptop! You can download an ISO of XP - As long as it's not cracked or modified... then you should be OK. Even though it should be legal-ish, im not going to give a download link, just incase.

Yup, won't take but only 20-30 minutes of your time.

Are you promoting Foxytunes by including the link in your posts celegorm? Is that kosher with the forum rules?

Back
Top Bottom