I am getting the internet tomorrow and......

youngjeezy333

Beta member
everybody in the house has laptops for computers. We DO NOT have a conventional desktop with a monitar and keyboard, etc.

My question to you is simply:

How do I go about creating a wireless network within the home so everybody (there are three of us with laptops) can enjoy the internet?

We have a wireless router, but do not know the steps involved to create the network, if that's how how its solved in the first place?

Any help will be appreicated!

Do you have instructions that came with your wireless router? If you can determine the model/make of router you have ... go to the manufacturer's website and check for a step-by-step on creating a home wireless network for access to the internet.
It's a fairly simple process. Typically, your wireless router comes with a CD that will do the majority of the work for someone that isn't advanced in configuring routers. Your instructions from router box or manufacturer website should be able to guide you through configuring wireless and setting up your internet connection. Is your ISP DSL or cable?

It will be cable ISP. I know of friends with wireless internet within their holmes, but they have always had a typical desktop of family computer where the router stems from - and then the kids connect to the router from their laptops.

I was just curious if having no typical desktop computer (one that will be stationary, for the most part) will have an effect on our ability to make a wireless network.

you're going to need to set up your internet by connecting wired, first. also, be sure you have a working firewall (either hardware or software) to keep from getting intrusions, etc. back to your wireless, i'm fairly sure you can set that up anywhere as long as you have a wireless adapter or card for your laptop.

Your initial setup will require that you connect one of your laptops via ethernet ... just to communicate with your wireless router in order to configure it. Once it's configured and wireless is enabled ... you'll then be able to configure the wireless adapter on your laptops to connect with WEP or WPA security encryption ... depending on which you choose. It is recommended to use WPA.
The firewall suggestion that mike25unit made probably isn't necessary in your case. Windows firewall should be adequate and your router which uses NAT basically becomes your firewall behind your cable modem.

Here's a Microsoft link that describes what is necessary for setting up a wireless home network:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx

Again, I suggest you find instuctions specific for your particular wireless router that describes the steps for configuring and enabling wireless.

Back
Top Bottom