Considering a 160GB iPod

GhostGT

Daemon Poster
My three iPods just don't cut it anymore. I've got two iPod Minis (4gb) and one Nano (4gb.)

Every single time I have new music on my computer, I end up deleting a playlist off ONE of the iPods to add the new playlist. MP3 Cds are alright, but I want to go ahead and purchase an MP3 player with more storage.

I really like the iPod classics, especially the new 160gb ones. I know that I'll fill up 160GB easily since I've got thousands of music CDs, but it's still a lot of storage.

That said, are there any other options out there that I should consider? Something sexy and small with lots of storage? The reason I prefer the iPod is because my car has an iPod connection for my navi system, and I'm used to using iTunes for the interface.

Thanks all!

Re: Considering an 160GB iPod

if you will be able to fill it up with music and you already have systems in place to use it such as i tunes and the car connection i would say go for one
i don't know if there are any other MP3 players out there that opffer the same storage volume so i would say tbh i pod is in this case the way to go

you could buy an 80gb zune, i think its cheaper.

my friend got like 11000+ songs and take about 29 days to listen all of them (according to itunes) and its only 60gb total, and if he converts them to 128bit, then he will have about 40-50gb of music. and thats a lot already.
I see this much space for music is pretty pointless, who listens to that much music in one day? I think about 10gb is enough.
I have a 2gb and i only put my favorite music on it, and i shuffle it, and i never have to press the next button to change songs.

you could buy an 80gb zune, i think its cheaper.

And also has half the memory, and changing the bitrate makes the quality lower - noticably, if you have high quality head/earphones

hmm, i guess i never noticed since i never spent more than $20 on headphones...
well if he got the money, and needs all the space, then go for it.

As I am the iPod master here :D I would wait, Apple is planning on released a bunch of new stuff in a few weeks.

I actually have been researching the alternative Media players other than the iPod and found A LOT. One thing I have found is the market for the PMP or Personal Media Player. Like the iPod Touch and video nano's they play music and video. They have MUCH larger space than the ipods out there and many have SDHC memory addition slots so you can have as much space you want. You can have all your videos etc on a 16GB or 8GB SDHC card and the rest of your music on the built in memory.

What I found out is that many people want lots of space and tons of battery life. Who needs 60GB's of movies and videos when the batteries audio play back only lasts 13 hours or video of 4 hours? So I have considered Hard Drive based PMP's or MP3 players useless. So I have done some research on a few players and brands and here's a brief description of those brands:

Creative - From what I have heard they have pretty good MP3 players and PMP's. Some of there flag ship models include the Zen X-Fi, the Zen Vision, and the Zen. Their Flash models have decent battery life. None of there players however have touch screens, unlike many of the other competition. They do have plenty of flash models and they many of them have SDHC ports to expand the memory of the players greatly.

Archos - One of the biggest rivals to the iPod touch etc. They just released a new line of PMP's with a new name: IMT's or Internet Media Tablets. These have very nice wireless capability's and are nice portable web browsers. There new line however does not have a Flash Player so the battery life is questionable at 14 Hours audio and 4 hours video. One good aspect of these are the screen size however. 5 Inch, and 7 inch screens at a resolution of 800x480 with amazing detail are the attractive points of these players. All models are able to browse the web with a Opera Browser. The flag ship model is the Archos 5G will allows you to browse the web etc and use the player as a phone! Rival of the iPhone maybe, as it has yet to be released.

Cowon - Maybe the best rival to the little apple is Cowon. Its current line of players consist of one flash player capable of video playing (Cowon D2) and a few HDD players with decent battery life. Again there are the monster players that are not usable for compact uses but the Cowon D2 is one of the best PMP's for sale right now. A 2.5 inch screen at 320x240 and available in 2,4,8, and 16Gb models ALL with SDHC ports. Battery life of 10 hours video and 50 hours audio! This is the only company I have researched that can use FLAC(Free lossless audio CODEC) audio files for you audiophiles out there. If your looking to buy this wait as there should be a new Cowon S9 and the O2 coming out by the end of this year. The limited specs reveled on the website( http://www.cowonglobal.com/ ) but look very nice.

Links:
http://www.archos.com/products/imt/index.html?country=global&lang=en
http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/
http://us.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=213&subcategory=214

Cowon and Creative are sold on newegg but Archos has only 2 being sold on newegg.

Your welcome for the LONG post as I was board and had nothing else to do.
T.T

Back
Top Bottom