norton removal

liquidmonkey

In Runtime
i am trying to install the latest AVG but am getting an error at the start of
the install saying another anti-virus is currently installed.
NORTON is the only one i have used in the past and i uninstalled it a few months
back. NORTON is NOT found in my add/remove programs list nor are there any
NORTON folders in my program files folder.

any suggestions? regedit, but which keys?

thanks in advance!

Thanks Bullzi,Thats just fixed one of my clients problems :D

But,Thats Symantec for ya :rolleyes:

no problem, glad i could help. we use it at work almost every day. its funny, norton and mcafee computers come in all the time that are so infected the only thing we can do is reload the OS, they're a sad sad rip-off... free avg does a better job than those.

no problem, glad i could help. we use it at work almost every day. its funny, norton and mcafee computers come in all the time that are so infected the only thing we can do is reload the OS, they're a sad sad rip-off... free avg does a better job than those.

I agree with you. My dad is a firm belevier in Norton. and its a pain when his PC fails.

the norton removal tool worked great!! thank you!!

i then tried to install AVG and it came back with these error messages...

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for file avgwdsvc.exe: starting service....
Service avg8wd failed to progress during startup at checpoint 0 (wait hint 2000 ms) in 82360 ms.
Rollback:
Warning: Action failed for directory Icons: removing directory....
Error 0x80070020
Warning: Action failed for file avgmfx86.sys: stopping service....
Service AvgMfx86 failed to progress during stopping at checpoint 0 (wait hint 10000 ms) in 90047 ms.

i've done a reboot (twice) but no luck. any ideas?

i also used ccleaner and it removed about 2.5 gigs of stuff, crazy!! but i think it also removed some of my better settings...for example, i use yahoo.com as my homepage and firefox used to go to the US version of yahoo but after using ccleaner firefox goes to the australian version of yahoo.
and yes, i am IN australia but want the US version to come up instead.
tried resetting it in option or tools or whatever but its still the same, any ideas on that one?

Back
Top Bottom