Windows Vista Booting

thomas49th

In Runtime
Hi, I have windows xp and windows vista on 2 seperate hard drives. the boot information is on the windows xp drive (C:) and this hard drive has FAILED. So basically i cant boot into vista. I just want to use the windows vista hard drive instead, but i cant boot upto it as the computer doesn't has a boot record (i think that's right). Anyway, i have the windows vista disc and i've clicked repair but what do i do now. If i click load i can see my vista installtion and browse all the folders, but i want to be able to boot onto this. What do i do? I presume I have to re-create the boot.ini file, but how do i get this to happen. Thanks :)

In the repair options on the Vista disk there should be an option for "automatic startup repair" see if that helps. If not, you'll need to use command prompt, but at the moment i forget what the commands are in vista.

Beat me to it! Thats what i was going to suggest. You might be able to google the commands for Vista.

yes the command should be /fixmbr

load up vista disk and then when it attempts to repair just click cancel and then a menu comes up, click command prompt and then type in /fixmbr i think, master boot record like you said.

the auto fix thingy doesn't do sh!t :( I used command prompt in and type in bootrec /fixmbr, it scans and finds the installtion of windows and asks me if i want to add it to boot i select y (for yes). but i then get the error:

element not found.

what do i do :( ??????

Back
Top Bottom