Is DDR3 worth it?

StratosP

Fully Optimized
How much is DDR3 better than DDR2?
And also, if you have a DDR2 motherboard can you put in a DDR3 graphics card?

Thanks
-StratosP

How much is DDR3 better than DDR2?
i havent tried DDR3 before, but from what i heard, its not worth it yet.
you cant use DDR3 on a DDR2 board.
And also, if you have a DDR2 motherboard can you put in a DDR3 graphics card?
the DDR in the graphics card is different from the RAM.
even the DDR5 video cards will work on any system, video card memory acts separately from system memory (RAM)

i havent tried DDR3 before, but from what i heard, its not worth it yet.
you cant use DDR3 on a DDR2 board.

the DDR in the graphics card is different from the RAM.
even the DDR5 video cards will work on any system, video card memory acts separately from system memory (RAM)

I can put DDR2 Ram in a DDR2 Motherboard, which is obvious...

So can I put in a DDR3 Graphics/Video card in a DDR2 motherboard?

Yes, you can. The graphics card ram type does not matter.

DDR2 2gb vs DDR3 2gb
Which one will win and by how much?

*assuming they have the exact same mhz speed.

**and also..does the speed for memory benefit your comp much? eg 1333mhz vs 1600 mhz how much faster will the 1600mhz be?

***AND..lol..if i buy a DDR2 Motherboard..how much time in the future approximately will i have to go back to the shop and pay an extrao $300 for a DDR3 compatible motherboard....oh and if you know and DDR2 & DDR3 compatible motherboards, let me know, i want to build computer desperately..its like my hobby!

Isnt the point of DDR3 letting the stick run at a faster speed? So if they where the same MHZ it wouldnt make any difference?

Isnt the point of DDR3 letting the stick run at a faster speed? So if they where the same MHZ it wouldnt make any difference?

Ahhh, so the point of DDR3 is to increase the limit of the Mhz run.
No wonder I couldn't find much DDR2 memory that had the equal speed to DDR3.
Thank you, I now understand!

Do you think you would really notice a lot of difference if you like to play games on max settings?

Like from 1200 to 1333 or from 1333 to 1600 or 1600 to 1800 or from 1800 to 2000..etc etc

From what I understand, There sint a point of it, because the other hardware hasnt caught up yet - It cant run at the same frequency as the RAM. You could get DDR3 for futures sake - But they might release a new socket for the "new bread" of processors... Maybe.

But then, Im not TOTALLY sure about all this.

From what I understand, There sint a point of it, because the other hardware hasnt caught up yet - It cant run at the same frequency as the RAM. You could get DDR3 for futures sake - But they might release a new socket for the "new bread" of processors... Maybe.

But then, Im not TOTALLY sure about all this.

the hew breed is Nehalem and AMD could be in serious trouble if the previews are accurate...

the hew breed is Nehalem and AMD could be in serious trouble if the previews are accurate...

What do you mean?

To explain JO3's post a little further: The reason DDR2 is not worth yet is because CPUs runs at FSB speeds lower than that of RAM. Take for example a 2.4GHz CPU (quad-core) that runs at 1333MHz. It is running at a FSB of 333MHz quad-pumped:

4 x 333MHz = 1333MHz

In order for a system to run as stable as possible the CPU FSB to RAM Speed ratio must be 1:1. So in order for you to run 1:1 with the CPU at hand you must have RAM that runs at 333MHz. Because DDR is dual data rate (not sure if I have the correct meaning of the acronym) you will divide the listed RAM speed by 2. To match the CPU FSB:

2 x 333 = 666 (667MHz DDR2 RAM)

Although you can get RAM running at speeds much faster than that (667MHz), you won't be fully utilizing it, therefore your CPU will be bottlenecking your RAM.

HOWEVER

If you can manage to alter the clock/multiplier combination of you CPU and keep it stable you, can get better performance out of your RAM. Since I'm going a little out of my range here, for the sake of the concept, we'll say that (using the previous CPU) 7 x 333 = 2400 (2331 in reality).

To run stable at stock settings this is what you will have:

CPU Multiplier: 7
CPU FSB: 333MHz
CPU Clock: 2.4GHz
RAM: 667

Now if you mess with the multiplier and FSB and you get it stable, you could have something like this (assuming you will keep the same clock speed):

CPU Multiplier: 6
FSB: 400MHz
CPU Clock: 2.4GHz

Now what will this allow? Because you're now using 400MHz as the FSB you can get faster RAM:

2 x 400MHz = 800MHz

Lastly, by changing the FSB to a higher speed you can increase the performace of your RAM (assuming you bought something that is being bottlenecked by the CPU). But beware, you can't just pop in numbers and hope it'll work well together. To change the settings you will have to do it little by little to keep it stable, you might even have to raise the VCore (voltage? Again out of my area) to power everything, thus emitting more heat and thus endangering your CPU even more.

Back
Top Bottom