Identical Computers Performing Different

ssc456

Fully Optimized
ok guys,

ive built 2 identical wuad core computers with 2Gb RAM 800Mhz and an 8600Gt with the same motherboard.

now i run a program called second life and with 1 of them its absolutely fine and the other 1 gives me loads of lag.

second life is an online virtual world and if i try and move my character on 1 of them it will be fine with no problems the other he will not walk smoothly he will wlak in slo mo then speed up and catch up.

these computers have been tested on exactly the same internet connection, making sure onlny 1 computer is on the network at a time,

the temps are exactly the same on bootup 40'C and after loadin SL raise to 43'C

i have checked everything but it is completely slow on 1 computer but it is only second life both computers run IE / messenger and all other programs smoothly,

i have also checked the RAM in both computers swapping and changing.

If it is running really slow then there is a possibility of faulty hardware

ok chris nice thought but i have tried both on stock drivers from the c.d and both on latest drivers downloaded from the internet.

and david,

i wouldnt say its running really slow in fact it is running really fast,

heres a few things i have considered.

a faulty core on the processor. have monitored this on CTRL ALT DEL performance all cores seem normal between 4 and 15% while running second life.

i have considered heat but thats fine,

i have also noticed that after the computer has been on a long time like 4 hours or so then the second life performance increases.

and i may have been a little un accurate when i said identical,

Processor = Same
RAM = Same
Motherboard = Same
Hardrive = Same
Case = Same
PSU = Different ???

is it possible seeing as i did actually go with a very cheap power supply that its not supplying enough power ???? i do intend in swapping them on monday but im a little busy over the weekend.

and possibly (not sure if this is right) but when the computer first starts up the computer takes alot of juice to get everything running but after a while of being on its sort of got everything running and is "idle" so its consuming less power so it runs ok ?

its some 500Watt Casecom PSU.
i realise 500Watts is enough but if its a cheap PSU it could be faulty or extremely unefficient.

anyways nice to hear from you guys and freestyle and cele i will try some bench's but again it probably wont be until monday as im a busy man.

I doubt its power supply. I am willing to be it's either hard drive, or a cable hooked up to the drives.

Let's eliminate some. Swap the drives and see what happens. If they truly are the same machines then this shouldn't be an issue.

A cheap 500W is turd, when you buy it less than 40 bucks. If it's light, that's also a crappy PSU. You know what? Swap PSUs...

The 500W won't be able to reach 350W and then, they'll come unstable.

swap psu if its fixes it then you know the problem, but as posted efore it may be the hdd.

Back
Top Bottom